What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Greatest Story Ever Told (1 Viewer)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
DP 70 said:
Paul, In 70mm.com say the print was for a subsequent Video Transfer but the print had a Bluish Cast.
So is it the same length as the BD version?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
It would be nice to know someone who saw this projected in LA in 2004, did they use this for the DVD and BD ?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Fox really needs to perform restoration on this film before it's too late. The elements are in poor condition and there is missing footage due to cuts made over the years. A major search effort would probably be necessary.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Lromero1396 said:
Fox really needs to perform restoration on this film before it's too late. The elements are in poor condition and there is missing footage due to cuts made over the years. A major search effort would probably be necessary.
That would be MGM so it's not likely I.e. THE ALAMO and IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
This is an MGM property. Fox is not going to shell out big money for MGM titles based on a temporary distribution deal. ahollis has named The Alamo that is not even released as a DVD so one could argue that TGSET fared better than that as it got a Blu-Ray release that overall is a bit better than a good DVD.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The 219 minute version of TGSET that I mentioned in a previous email is not owned by MGM. I don't think MGM would spend the money to restore it even if they had it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
RolandL said:
The 219 minute version of TGSET that I mentioned in a previous email is not owned by MGM. I don't think MGM would spend the money to restore it even if they had it.
Would differently have to agree with you. They do not have any desire to protect those assets.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
So I'm assuming the 219 minute version is lost. I agree with all of your that THE ALAMO is the highest priority. But all 3 of the films mentioned will probably be lost. A damn shame.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
RolandL said:
It's not lost. Here is a screen shot of a frame from it and a color corrected title.
That frame was taken from a pinkish German print and it is not from the 219 minute version but the shorter general release version. It is also distorted to make it work on cinerama screens which was quite annoying to watch as it was decided to show it without the usual 1.25:1 attachement that was used for Ultra Panavision productions.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
OliverK said:
That frame was taken from a pinkish German print and it is not from the 219 minute version but the shorter general release version. It is also distorted to make it work on cinerama screens which was quite annoying to watch as it was decided to show it without the usual 1.25:1 attachement that was used for Ultra Panavision productions.
The image below is from a pinkish German print? My source tells me its from the 219 minute version which does not have the sound track on it. You see more information on the top, bottom and left side because of that. Probably a rectified print as the sides are more sqeezed than the center.
61e8a1e5_gset70mm.jpeg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Your source is wrong then and should not misrepresent the print like that. I saw it projected myself and it definitely was not the longer version. The person who is doing these color corrections has been doing this with many prints with often stunning results, from Ben Hur to Circus World. Ben Hur did also have more picture area than the Blu-Ray by the way. Indeed a rectified print and rather hard to watch on a "normal screen - objects get more narrow and then again wider in horizontal pans.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Uhm, so the 219 exists in Germany with no audio? or does it not exist at all? I'm confused :confused:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
Uhm, so the 219 exists in Germany with no audio? or does it not exist at all? I'm confused :confused:
I strongly doubt it exists in Germany. I only can comment on the frame capture that was posted and it definitely is from a regular length print (with some bits missing) that was shown at the Schauburg 70mm film festival in Karlsruhe 2 1/2 years ago. No idea what trims may remain with MGM but seeing how badly they treated the release of the regular version I strongly doubt we will ever get a deluxe extended release.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
OliverK said:
Your source is wrong then and should not misrepresent the print like that. I saw it projected myself and it definitely was not the longer version. The person who is doing these color corrections has been doing this with many prints with often stunning results, from Ben Hur to Circus World. Ben Hur did also have more picture area than the Blu-Ray by the way. Indeed a rectified print and rather hard to watch on a "normal screen - objects get more narrow and then again wider in horizontal pans.
My source says the picture was taken of the frame in 1996 and the 219 print has never been shown theatrically. I have not seen this print so I'm only taking his word for it.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
seeing how badly they treated the release of the regular version I strongly doubt we will ever get a deluxe extended release.
That was my assumption from the get-go.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I almost bought this and the Robe today as they are $10 at Costco, glad I dind't. How is the Robe, is that one safe to buy?

TonyD said:
I almost bought this and the Robe today as they are $10 at Costco, glad I dind't. How is the Robe, is that one safe to buy?
The Robe looks very nice. Get it at that price.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
RolandL said:
My source says the picture was taken of the frame in 1996 and the 219 print has never been shown theatrically. I have not seen this print so I'm only taking his word for it.
Well I have seen the print and I know who captured the frame and he did not do it in 1996, more like 2006. It is astonshing to which lengths people will go to make themselves look important, at least this is how it looks to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks