What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: T2 Judgment Day - Skynet Edition (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
When are BD producers gonna get it through their heads that while PiP modes are fine and dandy, it'd be nice to ALSO watch the docs/featurettes in their entirety ON THEIR OWN *without* having to watch them while watching the movie again?

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I'm glad i watched all these extras on the DVD versions. Now I don't have to bother with all this blu-ray junk. I'm starting to think DVDs were the good old days. Things are supposed to get easier & better more fun not more difficult. Blu-ray is looking like a step backward.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Since it got brought up, I'll still take the PS3 over any standalone player on the market today. It's plays every disc without fail, does firmware updates effortlessly and loads MUCH faster than all other Blu-Ray players. On top of that, I can play games if I want to and stream all the media from my PC to my television. For $299(the sale price I picked it up for last year) there's simply nothing on the market that comes close.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I won't plug the PS3 here, but I would say though that (our) PS3 does seem more robust/capable than all others in dealing w/ disc playability issues.

I bought ours back in late 2007 and have never actually needed a firmware update to play a disc. I've done 3 updates so far. One was to get DTSHD-MA processing -- it originally only played the DTS core. The other two times were for something else unrelated to BD playback -- had to do w/ other features like web browsing.

That said. Although BD playback has been very robust, if you do use it for other features, you'll still inevitably want to do firmware updates every now and then. And of course, it's probably also a bit more likely to break down due to the extra components like the hard drive.

RE: somebody else's point about power consumption, yeah, I've actually decided to offload some of our DVD playback back to our old Denon player instead. The PS3 seems to consume ~100W more than our Denon SD2910, ie. ~125W vs ~25W for DVD playback. That plus I'd rather not wear out the PS3's BD drive too quickly since we do have 3 kids in the house. :P

_Man_

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Apparently there were budget limitations that prevented this edition from having the stuff from previous versions. Many of the docs and featurettes are available to download via BD-Live for separate viewing.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Love the quality of this disc, world's better than the previous BD but I absolutely despise the Java! :angry:

I thought judgement day would come waiting for the damn thing to load. :rolleyes

Why, why WHY do they use it!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks