1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: T2 Judgment Day - Skynet Edition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kevin EK, May 15, 2009.

1. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Blu-ray Disc REVIEW

[​IMG]

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
    SKYNET EDITION

[​IMG]
    Studio: Tri-Star/Orion (Home Video via Lionsgate)
    Film Year: 1991
    Film Length: 2 hours 17 minutes (Theatrical Edition) 2 hours 32 minutes (Special Edition)
    Genre: Science Fiction/Action

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

BD Resolution: 1080p
    BD Video Codec: VC-1 @ over 20 MBPS
    Color/B&W: Color

Audio:
    • English DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 @ over 4 MBPS
    • English Dolby Digital EX 5.1
    • English Dolby Headphone Audio Track
    • English TheatreVision Descriptive Narrative Audio for the Blind
    • French Dolby Surround 2.0

Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Commentaries

Film Rating: R (Violence, Language, General Terminator Behavior)

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Thanks, Kevin. I'm still on the fence for this release because of the DNR issue. I may still try and find the original UK release.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Kevin: Your description of that DTS HD-MA track is creating a great anticipation in me! [​IMG]

Nice review! [​IMG] Thanks!

4. Hank

Hank Guest

I found the original UK release on Ebay yesterday, I got it for $23.50 shipped. I canceled my Amazon pre-order.

5. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I want the DTS-MA track, but I have a 60" screen so the PQ issue really concerns me. Still not sure what to do about this release. [​IMG]

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Just to be safe, I'd say rent it. That way, you'll know what you're getting into.

Personally, I'm buying it because I love the movie, I want the SE, I 'only' have a 47 inch screen, I can all but guarantee that I won't notice the DNR and I figure this is another panic* being exacerbated by the people who seem to spend more time looking for DNR than watching movies.

* I'm not saying it's not there. I'm saying that some people blow things out of proportion.

7. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

I'll probably get this. I don't own any of the BD versions of T2, and the Ultimate Edition dvd really doesn't hold up that well anymore. That most of the extras are intact is a really good bonus as well.

8. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Screenwriter
    Reviewer

If you're on the fence, then I recommend renting. Worst case scenario, it costs you five bucks or so to find out whether the quality is worth the sale price.

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Screenwriter

I'll probably pick up the endoskull set for this someday when it is sold at a heavy discount. For now though, I'm in no rush for it. Thanks for the review.

10. CraigF

CraigF Screenwriter

Craig
    Appreciate the review, thanks.

60" screen here. I think I'll wait for the edition when an HTF reviewer rates the video at least 4.5 LOL. Yeah, I'm getting even pickier which DVDs I upgrade to BD. I mean, with DVD it was "new", and there was lots to be learned, and there were often significant improvements with each release. Not so much excuse now IMO with incremental improvements with different BD releases. Especially when the baseline (the last T2 BD) was already so low. It'll be $10 soon enough anyway, if I break down in the meantime... [​IMG]

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'm in for this one. I never bought the other T2 Blu-ray and I'm a fan of the longer version and the happier alternate ennding, so this one's a blessing.

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

This BD sounds like another bummer. I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon preorder for now since the price isn't exactly special anyhow. Is the UK version really better? And is it region coded for UK, which wouldn't work on US players?

_Man_

13. stephenj3

stephenj3 Auditioning

This is very disappointing. T2 is a relatively modern movie. Why on earth can't they give us a high-quality hi-def transfer, not plagued by DNR? Ditto for Terminator.

14. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Screenwriter

Brian,
    Any of the BD versions of T2 will be better than the "Ultimate Edition" DVD. That transfer was riddled with EE. The DVD format didn't really get a proper presentation of T2 until the "Extreme Edition" DVD was released (concurrent with the theatrical release of T3). The "Extreme Edition" DVD still looks great today when upscaled via my Tosh XD-E500 player. I kept the "Ultimate Edition", though, for all the great supplements. So I'll probably eventually be purchasing the "Skynet Edition" just to get all the versions of the film and all the supplements together in one release.

15. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

And with more reviews coming in and seeing the screenshots on DVDBeaver, I think I'm better off with the earlier Blu-Ray, in terms of PQ. That is, until the 'official authorized' version.
    And now I think we have had enough T2 Blu-Rays out. I want my The Abyss Blu-Ray [​IMG] .

16. CraigF

CraigF Screenwriter

Craig

Now you're really talking! [​IMG] That'll get me running to the store pretty quick.

OT, but in Canada Blockbuster gives you $10 (minimum) credit for any used BD you bring in. Since all the Schwarzenegger BDs are easily found for $10 new around here, it cost nothing to test them out. [Since Blockbuster also sold some new BDs for $10, this doesn't seem like the greatest business model LOL.]

17. CraigF

CraigF Screenwriter

Craig

Agree there, the Extreme edition looked not significantly worse upscaled (to me) than the original T2 BD. But then, the Ultimate edition had better sound than the Extreme edition, plus the "other" movie version. I just want one proper BD release with good PQ and SQ. This release sounds half way there, and I'm done with half way for this title. I don't demand perfection, just "very good".

18. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Screenwriter

I will be going with the following:

Terminator - US MGM release
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Japanese Geneon Entertainment release
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - UK Sony release

It is a shame this series in so hit or miss on home video.

19. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well it ain't perfect, but at $20, I think I'm going with the Skynet edition for the first T2 BD purchase for me. Wish they could have treated such a great home video title with more respect.

20. stephenj3

stephenj3 Auditioning

They seemingly released so many "editions" of T2 on DVD that i lost track.