What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: Star Trek: The Original Series Season One (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Hamilton72 said:
Fantastic! That goes for the alternate audio too I hope - the theme was re-recorded for the remastered episodes but I'd still expect to hear the original theme from 66 attached to the original version of each episode!
I went back for a second listen, and the original audio on the unaltered episodes is the new recording of the theme. When you use the angle button you are only switching between the visual elements. I took a listen to the 2.0 mono track and that sounds like the original theme as it doesn't have the polish or robustness of the DTS-MA track.
Regarding my comments on the grain: I noted it simply because I saw it and it contributes to the evaluation of the image. I'm really not discounting the transfer for it, simply saying it is there. I'd hardly say I was a grain-o-phobe if you look back at my review for the re-mastered Godfather and read how much I loved the image.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I thought it was pretty clear this was entirely a HD set, at least for both versions of the episodes themselves. However, some of the bonus material is in HD and some is in SD as is noted in the review.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Stellar review!!
Like Sam, I'm holding out for a complete boxset but (instead of Netflix) I'll be borrowing a co-workers set in the meantime.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You think the DDDVD sale will be better than the 50% off now at Amazon and Bestbuy?

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
PatWahlquist said:
I went back for a second listen, and the original audio on the unaltered episodes is the new recording of the theme. When you use the angle button you are only switching between the visual elements. I took a listen to the 2.0 mono track and that sounds like the original theme as it doesn't have the polish or robustness of the DTS-MA track.
Oh! That would be very disappointing if true... :-(
The original theme was changed very significantly as it went along - adding the choir later on for example - and it would be tragic if that wasn't represented on the new DTS-MA track.
At least the 2.0 track is there I suppose (although it was probably encoded at a way inferior bitrate!)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Dan Rudolph said:
I though the proper viewing distance was 1.5 screen heights, not lengths.
With the majority of setups being constant image width, not height, screen lengths sounds more sensible to me. If it's heights, you're then going to have different "proper viewing distance"s depending on if you're watching a 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 movie or 1.78:1 TV show.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is the original Desilu logo at the end or does it have the 1978 Paramount copyright at the bottom of Desilu?

EdKBecker

Grip
Jaxon's Dad said:
Looking forward to this set.
Toshiba used the release of TOS Remastered to market the upgrade to HD-DVD, by way of a mail-in phaser remote with the purchase of both the HD-DVD/DVD set and a qualifying HD-DVD player. Wow, that was a rabbit trail...
Heh, heh, I got one of those Phasers--it's pretty cool. Can't wait for the BD version--Great review.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just finished watching the first three episodes of disc 1. I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. What a gorgeous presentation. Just amazing.

Doug

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
:emoji_thumbsup:Saw "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" from Disc 5 last night...the multi-angle feature allowing the viewer to switch back and forth between the original visual effects and the CGI is pretty cool. The sound and picture presentations were exemplary to my ears and eyes!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I just want to say I also really appreciate the slimmed down packaging (though a booklet would have been nice) as opposed to those giant bulbous cases they have produced in the past!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Howdee Ric. I like the graphics on the new sets too.
I just got mine from Amazon yesterday and loved the look of the reworked sets. For me the audio from the original version sounded the same as my SD discs. The audio on the Blu-ray version is a definitely a newer recording.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I posted this in another thread. Since there is so many threads about Star Trek Remastered, this should be of interest, an interview with Mike Okuda and his thoughts about the Remastered project now that it's over as well as The Cage that airs this weekend:
EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Mike Okuda - Talking “The Cage”, TOS-R On Blu-ray & more | TrekMovie.com
Also, I was mentioning in the other thread about this set that I was having trouble with the Angle button. There's a delay when I press it to switch between the CGI and original effects. My Sony BD player is the S550. There is a delay, and the SFX shots are so short, it usually doesn't work! And when it does work, the FX shot will only stay for about 2 secs and reverts back. Anyone else notice this, is it normal, is it my player? I was hoping it would stay with the FX shot I switched to, but I guess the idea is that it's only to stay for a few seconds so you see the difference. Thanks!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Nelson Au said:
Also, I was mentioning in the other thread about this set that I was having trouble with the Angle button. There's a delay when I press it to switch between the CGI and original effects. My Sony BD player is the S550. There is a delay, and the SFX shots are so short, it usually doesn't work! And when it does work, the FX shot will only stay for about 2 secs and reverts back. Anyone else notice this, is it normal, is it my player? I was hoping it would stay with the FX shot I switched to, but I guess the idea is that it's only to stay for a few seconds so you see the difference. Thanks!
Nelson, on my PS3 the angle button works as advertised. There is a brief (less than a second) delay when it is pressed, but I encounter that with every other disc, too. Once pressed, the switch to or from (new or old) FX shots remains in effect until the angle button is pressed a second time. So, perhaps it is a firmware issue or player glitch. It seems a bit odd to me though that it works properly on a PS3 but not on a dedicated Sony BD player.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gary for the feedback. Yes, I agree that you'd think if a PS3 can do the angle change, why can't a dedicated Sony BD player!
I'll check on the firmware and keep trying to see if I can get it to work. Not too big a deal, but it would be nice if it works like it does for you.
I'm glad to hear if works fine for you. And I appreciate knowing once you make the switch, it stays.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Nelson Au said:
Too bad the Starfleet Access was implemented differently here. I will admit I didn't like the way they did it on the HD-DVD, so I'm curious to experience what the BD has done. And it's a shame they left off Galileo Seven's Starfleet Access.
The Starfleet Access is much better on the BD. It's stopped using the style like Universal's U-Control and is a lot more like Disney's or Warner's In-Movie Experience. Everything just appears on the screen at the right time. There's no missing a video because you were looking at the tech or character info clicking back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks