What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Saving Private Ryan (Sapphire Series) - Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Best Buy is going to extend that exchange policy to FutureShops in Canada. After all, they own that chain.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just came here after weeks seeing this story on BBC News site!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10113592.stm

How come this which seems like a huge story (I have never seen a BD recall news on BBC!), get a highly recommended review here?

I was very close to get this BD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Wow, major props if true.

Not to knock Best Buy because it's cool that they aren't requiring a receipt but I think the leniency is probably due to the defective discs going straight back to Paramount for good ones so they probably couldn't care less whether the discs came from their stores or not.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SamT

How come this which seems like a huge story (I have never seen a BD recall news on BBC!), get a highly recommended review here?

This problem is subtle. Some have noticed it on playback and others haven't. The reviewer tested his copy a few times and reported that he couldn't see any lip synch problems. I didn't really notice any problems on the copy that I have, but I just may not be looking as hard for it as some other people are; either that, or I'm just not that sensitive to a problem involving a 2 - 3 frame lag. I don't know.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I probably watched Moulin Rouge on DTS DVD 3-4 times in ignorant bliss, until I read here that the DTS track had a sync issue. I then re-watched it, saw what they were talking about, and haven't been able to "unsee" it. So it's entirely possible that a small sync error, especially one that doesn't happen until closer to the end of a nearly 3 hour movie, is missed at first viewing.

Originally Posted by Edwin-S

This problem is subtle. Some have noticed it on playback and others haven't. The reviewer tested his copy a few times and reported that he couldn't see any lip synch problems. I didn't really notice any problems on the copy that I have, but I just may not be looking as hard for it as some other people are; either that, or I'm just not that sensitive to a problem involving a 2 - 3 frame lag. I don't know.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Because this issue not reproducable by all who view it, including myself - and this was not news here until reports began to surface around the time of the discs release.

As the movie, and my experience with the disc go, it was superb and highly recommended. And when others who may have experienced the issue receive their corrected copy, they will see what I mean (some already see it that way AND notice the issue)

Don't hesitate to get this disc, just be sure to pick up a copy with the yellow UPC indicating the corrected disc and you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by SamT

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JonZ

I was told Best Buy will exchange discs even without a receipt.

That's where I bought my copy so I'll be returning it there rather than waiting on them to send me a replacement through the mail.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't hesitate to get this disc, just be sure to pick up a copy with the yellow UPC indicating the corrected disc and you won't be disappointed.
Anyone who gets it please take pictures. I want to see what it is going to look like the yellow UPC before I buy this.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

I believe the barcode in the window on the back cover sleeve will be yellow instead of white - which will tell you its a corrected disc.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I just checked my copy - nothing unusual short of a couple of very brief shots where Adam Goldberg is yelling something and it looks like one of those martial arts flicks with the horrible dubbing that doesn't match the mouth movement. I've seen alot of those ADR gaffes - no big deal. Is this what all the fuss is about?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After viewing the replacement disc today in its entirety, I still say this film should have won the Best Picture for 1999. My emotions still ran high again today, almost 12 years, since my first viewing of this great film.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert I agree with that very much.

After I finished this the other day I was a mess.

This is such a great movie.

btw I did not notice the synch issue, as this was a not fixed netflix version.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I decided to throw in the towel and keep my original Blu-ray after two failed attempts to exchange it at the small local store I purchased it. I guess they figured restocking the title wasn't worth the effort. Sampling random scenes, including the reported "trouble spots" around chapters 15 and 16, I didn't notice a problem with the audio on my disc (I'm using an Oppo player, if it matters) so I guess I have one of the "good" discs, thank goodness. I find it hard to believe, though, that a couple of out-of-sync dialogue sequences would cause enough upheaval to make people actually want to go to the trouble of calling hotlines/dealing with uninformed clerks at Best Buy. And it only took Technicolor a week to fix the problem and reissue the title?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks