1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Ronin

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Cameron Yee, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Chris S

Chris S Well-Known Member

Chris S
    I have not but I've read Cameron's reviews for awhile now and know his impressions will mirror my own. It's reason enough for me to forgo a purchase at this time.

2. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Well-Known Member

I really love this movie and right now I'm debating between getting it or Akira, which I also love. Both seem to have less than impressive image quality but at least the sound will be a bigger upgrade from the 2.0 Japanese on Akira compared to the decent 5.1 sound on the SD DVD for Ronin. I just bought Reservoir Dogs for $10 at Walmart so I think I'll keep an eye out and hopefully I can catch Ronin for that same price some time down the road.

3. AaronMK

AaronMK Well-Known Member

Aaron Karp
    Too bad. I really like this movie, but the poor PQ prevents me from justifying a purchase, and I would have been happy even if a high quality presentation of the film was the only thing on a reasonably priced release. MGM, I'll reconsider if/when you decide to do this right.
    Hopefully this is not indicative of what we should expect on The Princess Bride.

4. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

The screenshots at DVD Beaver look pretty good with grain intact. I'll give this a rental at some point.

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Well-Known Member

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

Dadgummit! I have been waiting to buy this film on high def for years, and what a total disappointment.

7. Martin Henry

Martin Henry Well-Known Member

I've had the UK version for over a year now. It's the same transfer and there's no way it's as bad as a 2.5. Of some of the crap that's been released on BD recently, from upconverted trash,(a lot of that going on with UK distributors), to lazy 50hz transfers, Ronin for me, does not fall into the 'poor HD' catagory. Not in the slightest.

8. John Nelson

John Nelson Well-Known Member

I don't know why they couldn't at least have included John Frankenheimer's audio commentary from the DVD. That for me is an egregious oversight/omission. Frankenheimer was knowledgeable and opinionated and I've not heard that commentary yet. I hope his Grand Prix, another much-anticipated Blu-Ray release for me, will get better treatment when and if it's released.

9. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Well-Known Member

I smell a future "Deluxe Edition", which was probably in the back of their minds all along. Why should anything have changed?

10. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Well-Known Member

It looks very good on my 40" Bravia - like I remember it in the theater. I compared this to the Japanese release which also looks good. No way are these a 2.5. More like a 4 or 4.5. I found many of the scenes very lifelike and three-dimensional.

Brad

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

In Cameron I trust. [​IMG]

13. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Ha! I take it that's some residual wordplay from reviewing Religulous? [​IMG]

14. Michael Reuben

No, from being a tightwad! [​IMG]

15. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Well-Known Member

I'm a weak, weak man. I went to Frys to get Silence of the Lambs and ended up buying Ronin as well since I love that movie so much. The higher quality sound should at least make me feel not so guilty about buying it if the video doesn't live up to its full potential.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    I rented this and just watched it tonight, wow, what a poorly done Blu-ray. I agree with the 2.5 video score but I'd only give the audio a 3, not a 4 per the review. It's like watching an upscaled DVD.
    Such a shame for such a fantastic film.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Thanks for bumping up this thread as I looked at the current pricing at Amazon for it and at 19.99 I just bought it since I'm not going to wait several years for them to do again and it's an upgrade from the dvd.

Crawdaddy

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    I'll wait. The A/V on this is one of the worst I've seen on Blu so far.

19. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    I'm a recent Blu-ray convert and this is exactly the kind of thing I feared would happen - studios (in this case, an ailing one) pumping out mediocre discs without extras and charging an arm and a leg. Do they really expect people to buy this stuff with these kind of deficiencies, in this economy? I always knew it wasn't going to be necessary to upgrade my entire collection to Blu and now it has been confirmed.

20. Michael Reuben

This disc can be had for $10-12, if you look around. And after watching a Showtime HD broadcast, I bought it at about that price and found it more than acceptable. Indeed, my expectations had been so lowered by this thread that I was pleasantly surprised.