What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: Ran (1 Viewer)

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I don't see any haloing, but I've got a 50" Viera. I see much more detail than the Criterion but it is really very contrasty; dark shadows are very dark and bright daylight scenes, especially during the final battle are hard. Again, it looks like a film print was used rather than the original negative.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
there may not be an 'original' negative so to speak. i saw a new copy of 35mm Ran locally and it was supposed to have been based on the best PQ negative that was received. like i said it takes $, labor, effort to locate a more decent 'original' film negative/print.

meanwhile... if you compared the BD vs. DVD, the Criterion has full frame throughout but SC's BD has the last few scenes w/black bars on the edge left and right. i have no idea why.

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
That's odd. That usually indicates that the HD master used for the blu ray was also intended for standard def DVD release, as the "window boxing" or pulling back of the end credits would keep any titles from being cut off by overscan. I don't see those bars on my tele but there are the slight black strips along the top and bottom to make it 1.85:1 aspect ratio rather than the 1.78 of an HD monitor. I'll have to look again!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yeah look closer on the SC's BD esp. towards the end when the father and son ride together in the desert, there is a thin black strip on left and right.

on DVD there is none.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks