What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Too bad it's been delayed :frowning:
then again they say Pixar is more heavily involved which is always a good thing.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I watched some of it last night (not the whole movie, just skipping around) and saw it in the 40s many times and it hit 50.0 twice.

The Jolly Roger menu is much cooler than I imagined it would be. And the Scoundrels of the Sea feature worked flawlessly the limited amount I played with it, is in hi def and is also much cooler than I imagined. I've barely gotten into DMC at all so right now TCOTBP is currently the most badass BD in my collection.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Any specific scenes you can point to? I'm not doubting you. I just didn't see it. Granted I sampled a few scenes and did not completely focus on the meter so I'm sure I missed it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The one I remember was during the attack on Port Royal at the beginning. I think it occured right around the time of an explosion.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
WWWOOOWWW
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
. I feel like I died and went to HD heaven.

Not being able to sleep last night, I did the next best thing; I watched movies.

Starting with Matrix, and then both POC movies. My eyes are buldging, my ears ringing, and if there was ever a time to rave about HD, it is now. It just doesn't get any better.

These are three of the finest home video release I have ever had the opertunity to view and hear, by a very wide margin. From the beautifully rendered and subdued pallet of Matrix, to the astounding colors and detail of POC1 and POC2, this is what HD is all about. If ever there were hardware sellers, these releases should be them.

Thank you Disney, and thank you Warner. I think I will go and watch 'em again.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
cool :) my pirates are on the way ;)
CAN'T WAIT ;) eheheh

I am glad you had great movie marathon Thomas :)

Marek

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The Pirates movies do look fantastic don't they? I haven't gotten The Matrix mainly because I really didn't like the movie.

By the way I'm going to the 8pm show of POC: At The World's End tomorrow night at the Cine Capri!!!! I'll be in pirates heaven.

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I will not have the time until next week to see the new POC, and will most likely go to the Cine Capri also (as it is right down the block from me, sort of).

BTW, I loved the old Cine Capri on Camelback. It was one of my all time favorite theaters. I was really sorry to see it go, but Harkins did a fine job on the replacement.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I saw Star Wars at the original Cine Capri in 77 when I was 11. Got to see many great films there. Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm was just spectacular at the Cine Capri. I also got to see Casablanca there.

I guess they are opening another new Cine Capri down near me in Tempe. I won't have to drive clear up to north Scottsdale anymore!

Doug

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This is very good news indeed. The Harkins family supports of of the finest theaters around, and I don't mean in Phoenix only. Old man Harkins obviously loved movies, as it shows in most of his theaters.

As much as I love my HT, it will never replace the experience of seeing a film in a theater like the Cine Capri. Movies like POC were made to be shown there.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Any of you with the PS3 and a 720P projector need to UPDATE YOUR PS3 ASAP to the new 1.8 firmware which provides 720p output.

WOW. My blu-ray discs have never looked so good... much sharper/more detailed than with my PJ "bobbing" the 1080i input.

I know it's OT for this thread... but figured that many folks might be using the PS3 to watch these movies and may not have heard about the new 1.8 update that was just released (last night).

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Good call, Dave... that's an important update as Pirates won't be fully playable without it. Sony also issued new firmware for the BDP-S1 as did Samsung for their new 1200. Panasonic issued their new firmware a few weeks ago. This is such a huge release that all the major manufacturers went to work to make sure their players would be compatible. Cool!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It is pretty cool the way things work these days with updatable firmware and with the studios like Disney and WB working so closely with the manufacturers. Disney wants to use BD-J... so the manufacturers get their updates ready to time the release just prior to the Pirates BDs. Cool... :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Ben, I forgot to thank you for another fine review in my post above. Sorry for the oversight.

I am beginning to rely on the reviews in this forum more and more in my decision making process on which titles to purchase. You guys are doing great work.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Enter to win a copy of this! Here is a link to our contest:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=258143

Rules:
You must be 18 or older.
You must own a Blu-Ray player (let someone win who can enjoy it NOW, not in 6 months when you buy your player...We will have more contests, don't worry!)
Please only one entry per title.
All entries must be received by Wednesday July 4th at noon Pacific when the winners will be randomly drawn and notified.

Please note you name and address with not be shared with anyone, we just need it to know where to mail your movie to if you win.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks