What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Moon (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Can someone give me an idea of the running time on the bonus features? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy or rent (I saw the film itself during its theatrical run). Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Mark_TB

Can someone give me an idea of the running time on the bonus features? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy or rent (I saw the film itself during its theatrical run). Thanks in advance.

- Mark
Going from memory, there are 2 Q&A sessions that are about 20 minutes each, one general making of feature that is about 15-20 minutes and 1 visual effects feature that is about 10 minutes. Plus, there are the two commentaries.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I finally had the chance to watch this and I agree with the sentiments expressed here. After seeing the special features Sam's performance is even more remarkable.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The actor did a good job in this flick, but it took me all of about 5 minutes to figure out what the premise was. I don't know what surprises the reviewer was referring to, because there was nothing surprising in this film at all. There was zero suspense. I definitely do not think that this film improves on either "Silent Running" or "Outland".

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

The "more than one f-bomb will get you an R" legend is just that: a legend. Although I simply do not trust the MPAA for various reasons (I prefer the Alberta Film Review Board's ratings for clarity), the f-bomb rule goes like this: the MPAA is generally more lenient when the f-bomb is used in a non-sexual context (are you f-ing nuts, for example), whereas if it is used in a sexual context (f you, motherf-er, etc), you are more likely to get an R. I have not seen Moon yet, but am looking forward to it. FWIW, it got a 14A in Alberta, which means under 14 must be accompanied by an adult; that seems far more appropriate.
According to Doug Liman in his commentary on The Bourne Identity, 1 F word will get you a PG-13, 2 will get you an R, regardless of the context. This is pretty much confirmed in the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated.

In the past the MPAA had different rules, allowing nudity in The Planet of the Apes which was rated G for instance, but they have been fairly consistent about the F word at least since the early 90s.

Doug

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

I finally had the chance to watch this and I agree with the sentiments expressed here. After seeing the special features Sam's performance is even more remarkable.
The fact that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar or even a Golden Globe is really quite appalling.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Been looking for a discussion about this. I really enjoyed the movie.

Can anyone help me figure out who the girl was that he saw that distracted him? It was not his wife.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
but it took me all of about 5 minutes to figure out what the premise was.
I enjoyed the film, but I admit I was a little dissapointed in this regard as well. I went in spoiler free, but from the raves I had read beforehand, I was kind of expecting a mind blowing premise. When it became clear pretty early on that it was..
a cloning situation
I was a little let down just because I was expecting some kind of concept I had never seen before.

I also didn't quite buy how.... Gerty was helpful to Sam(s) to the point of assisting with access to restricted data. You would think that he would be programmed to not allow that data to be seen under any circumstance.
And the end bothered me a bit because

It's suggested that when Sam 2 makes it to Earth, he starts whistle blowing against the company and damaging them financially. And while the movie does make you feel sympathy for the Sams, is that really supposed to outweigh the fact that this company is providing clean energy for 75% of the planet? I guess I could be more subjective if that company was mining something trivial like the shaving cream atom or yo-yo polish or something like that. But it's the company that got the world off of oil! In a way, it seems more humane to use manufactured humans rather than "real" people for that kind of work.
But those criticisms aside I was a pretty impressive film.

ginhead

Auditioning
Real Name
bob
I liked this movie overall, but the one thing that didn't make sense about one of the key plot points:
Is there really major benefit to the company in having clones run the show - especially considering they were 'pre-made'? It would have made a lot more sense to me if the clones were grown as needed - so no need to pay for transport of a person OR if the energy source was far away enough from earth that prevented easy human travel. I just don't get where the benefit to the company is to have a basement stocked with clones. I guess they don't have to pay Sam's salary.....but if they are selling 75% of the worlds power, you think they could afford that.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is there really major benefit to the company in having clones run the show - especially considering they were 'pre-made'? It would have made a lot more sense to me if the clones were grown as needed - so no need to pay for transport of a person OR if the energy source was far away enough from earth that prevented easy human travel. I just don't get where the benefit to the company is to have a basement stocked with clones. I guess they don't have to pay Sam's salary.....but if they are selling 75% of the worlds power, you think they could afford that.
I think they had to have a stock because who would be growing the clones? If it was done on the Moon Base, you wouldn't want the current guy growing his own artificial replacement. Maybe Gerty could do it, but I would imagine there would still be risk if the process was happening at the same time. If they did it on Earth, they would still have to costly process of transporting them. The Sams have to think they're perfectly "real" with a family waiting for them back on earth when they finish out their contracts. The company would appear to view their presence on the Moon as pretty long term hence the multitude of Sams (even though if they only had ten copies, it would last them 30 years, so it did seem a bit overkill that there were hundreds, if not thousands of clones in stasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks