What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (not recommended) (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I'm buying it closer to Xmas so I can watch it then.

Good review Michael. I see the same old featurette is included. Doesn't this super famous film merit a commentary? Or an indepth documentary?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Good review Michael. I see the same old featurette is included. Doesn't this super famous film merit a commentary? Or an indepth documentary?

There's certainly more material out there. The Republic DVD version I have includes the "Personal Remembrance" with Frank Capra, Jr. and Jimmy Stewart. But as always with such matters, I'm sure there are rights issues.

Mike, I'm thrilled that someone noticed there was some nuance in my video evaluation. I try to write these things for a broad audience, but it gets tricky when you're dealing with issues where technical expertise and subjective perception overlap to such a huge degree. That's why I hate grades or star systems or ratings. They don't leave room for the kinds of distinctions that make a disc like this a worthwhile release for you but not so much for others.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
hi Michael,

i think BDs encode 4:3 material with black pillars on left and right.

so even on a 4:3 display, it'll actually shrink and become tinier =P. i still have a 4:3 front projector and see the left and right pillars when playing blu-rays shrinking the actual image even further. the only way to eliminate this is going w/widescreen completely, which is what these older aspect ratio films are being shown on. FYI =)

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
(On 4:3 displays, it may be hidden by overscan.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks