What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: Iron Man Ultimate Two-Disc Edition (RECOMMENDED!) (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have a Sony BD 301 which is a 1.0 profile. Should I worry about the load times or DRM? I dont have my copy yet

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
So I did my system upgrade, and Iron Man ran beautifully on my PS3. Great movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit, as this was the first time I watched it.

But I went to the extras, and BD Live wouldn't work, it said I wasn't connected to the internet, but my PS3's WIFI light was happily blinking along. Does the PS3 not support BD Live?

Thanks in Advance,
Don

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

Thanks Phil
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Cant wait to watch this movie!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

DELETE any Iron Man data in the PS3's BD Data utility and then try again. It should work after that, as it did for me.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
[Got it. Was going dancing in The City tonight, however have an interview tomorrow, so its movie night instead]

Looks better than I remember seeing it in a DLP theater (lamp? focus? screen?).
Sounds OK compared to the theater system (not too boomy).
Played flawlessly on my old BH200 (disc one).
Like the cover better than the slip. Although, cover could have used more color ("Blu"; ha ha!) & a holographic arc reactor.
SD DVD's slip is better.
This is NOT the "ultimate" IM, doesn't even have a commentary track (more too come!).
Enjoyed the movie at home as well as the second theater experience.

"Demo Material"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got this tonight from Target with the kick ass plastic helmet holder. I rarely buy at B&M cept costco but made an exception for this special box set!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This disc rocks.

Loved the making of and special features in HD as well.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I liked this movie way better the second time I saw it. Great movie and a/v. Did not check the extras yet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the film for the first time yesterday (on BD).

It was terrific and as good as all the recommendations from my friends who had seen it in the theaters.

The audio was awesome! It screamed out of my system...right from the opening strains of AC-DCs Back in Black through all the various explosions, etc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Just the right touch of humor mixed with action and....fun!

Downey was a terrific choice for Tony Stark. I don't know how the producers ever made that choice...but they must be very pleased with how it worked out.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Amen. This film balanced all of its elements beautifully. It was neither too light, nor too dark, not too character-driven nor too action-driven. I'd go so far as to say it may be the best superhero-themed film I've seen. Donner's original Supes is great and iconic, but cheesy in spots and I still don't like the ending. I liked TDK a lot, but I'm not as rabid a fan of Nolan's vision as some. I don't mind my comic book films being a bit more, well, comic-bookish, but without degenerating into camp. Iron Man hit the sweet spot for me, and I hope the sequels don't disappoint.

I just watched the blu-ray and was very satisfied with it. I have yet to delve into the Disc 2 supplements. I don't have lossless audio capability yet, but what I heard sounded good relative to other discs. This is definitely one of my favorite BDs.

--Jefferson Morris

Brad M

Second Unit
I have bought this disc the day it hit shelves and have only sampled it while waiting on life to settle down so I can watch it. I didn't see a basic 5.1 track. Did I just miss it or is there just a True5.1? I won't be upgrading my sound for at least a year so I'm stuck with 5.1 for now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm far from an expert, Brad...but there is a TrueHD 5.1 which should downrez perfectly into a "typical" 5.1 track for you.

I don't have HDMI yet myself and I'm using an older BD player (Panny BD-10) but I'm using 5.1 analog outs so I THINK I get lossless audio with a TrueHD track. Either way...the audio really is done very nicely. Loud and clear where it oughta be and soft and clear where it oughta be. :D

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Typical with a higher bitrate. The TrueHD core Dolby 5.1 tracks are 640kbps, instead of the standard 448kbps.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I have a 705 and had the same issue last night...everything sounded flat and that was with the volume at -12.

Will give it another try tonight after fiddling with the DRC settings.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just watched this on BD for the first time. It was less good than what I was expecting after all the praises but it was nice. It’s not a masterpiece but it is indeed above all the other average superhero movies.

I had problems with the cave scenes. Stark’s sudden change of heart!, Yinsen’s poorly played death scene
and the inclusion of Sayed Badreya (since he is the usual bad Arab guy in Hollywood movies). All this just looked like a parody to me and reminded me of Ben Stiller! On the first viewing, I enjoyed "The Incredible Hulk" a little more.

Enjoyed the extras a lot too.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in the theater and thought it was "pretty good." I ended up ordering it and am curious how it will be for me on a second viewing (although I think I'll still end up liking it).

Rolando

Screenwriter
went to buy it tonight but was told at Futureshop that both they and Best Buy had to Iron Bad BDs because they were recalled and are waiting for replacements?

what gives?

I will got get it elsewhere but how can I tell if it is the corrected one or the bad one that never got changes?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Yikes, good point. I forgot to check which version I got...it's still in the queue to be watched. I was hoping to get the FS steelbook (it seemed kinda appropriate for Iron Man, normally I wouldn't bother) but none by the time I got there.

Edit: my UPC is 097361385792. It doesn't match any of the UPCs I've seen for good/bad (though *very* close to the fixed one, one digit diff...but it ain't a lottery...wait, it is). The UPC is on a sticker over another UPC, which also is none of the ones mentioned. So please let me know if you find out anything. I think I got it at Wal-Mart.

Edit again: This UPC is OK if it's what you find, may be only in Canada. It has the blue/gray discs and plays/loads fine. The BD-Live stuff took less than a minute to download.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

After a second viewing, I liked the movie about the same which is good.

The video quality was quite good though a few spots were soft likely do to the source material. The audio was phenomenal. Some scenes were just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks