What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: Iron Man Ultimate Two-Disc Edition (RECOMMENDED!) (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I thought it was a glitch at first, but remembered that they did the same when "The Simpsons Movie" came out.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

So I pick this BD up today (a blind buy, but I know I'll love it so no worries there) and it's in one of those special "Steelbook" cases. Should have been Ironbook but that's not as practical...anyway, I look at the discs and they are full of fingerprints and disc 2 has a small scratch!

Perhaps this is due to the last-second replacement because of its incompatibility with some players?

CRyan

Screenwriter
Speaking of that replacement, people are having problems with what appears to be LIVE. In order to get the disc to play people are having to turn off the BDLIVE funtion on the PS3 first. Otherwise there is a 10 minute load time. Now I dont know whether to buy it or not.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Agreed with that last Ps3 assessment. I've been watching the chest emblem for at least 10 mins...no dice. About to give up...thanks for the suggestion.

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Wow, When I first put the disc in, I got the chest symbol as well. So I read the box and it said I may need to do a firmware upgrade (PS3). Now I have to wait for the system upgrade, and then do the ten minutes with the chest symbol.

I really wanted to take my shoes off and start watching!

Thanks,
Don

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I don't think there is a reason to wait. After a major wait it finally came up just to tell me that my player is not connected to the internet or is not BD-Live capable. Its both. So much for the Bd_live features.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There is a minor audio issue. On some receivers and on the PS3, dynamic range compression must be set to "off", not "auto" because the disc is encoded to engage DRC on decoders that have this feature set to "auto". Both uncorrected and corrected versions of the disc have this glitch.
If anyone is concerned about having somehow gotten one of the uncorrected discs just note the color of the disc labels. The corrected versions have a blue Disc 1 and a gray Disc 2, on the uncorrected version both are gray. The original uncorrected discs would not play on some players.

It should be noted that this disc will attempt to load BD-Live content before an menu comes up, and that the servers are so badly hammered right now that some people have waited half an hour and more with no luck. This will only occur on 2.0 profile players that are internet connected. On the PS3, simply change the BD Live setting to "confirm" and don't attempt a download, or just disconnect the ethernet cable.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I'm not the only one that experienced start up issues with this disc. I knew the HTF would come through with a solution!

Ah, what happened to the good ol' days of popping a disc in, kicking back on your sofa and watching forty minutes previews before being confounded with an unnecessarily complicated menu system and finally watching the movie?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this film for the very first time on BD.

A few thoughts....

One of the best comic book movies I have ever seen. I have read
people who claimed they felt this film was better than The Dark
Knight
. Add me to the list of people that feel the same way.
As much as Heath Ledger made TDK, Robert Downey made
Iron Man. I could not imagine any other actor filling the Iron
Man shoes and making it work so well.

The Blu-ray disc looks wonderful, and more importantly, sounds
unbelievable. The bass response alone off this disc was incredible.

Totally amazed by this film! You will be too!

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I agree completely!!! I just watched it last night and was totally blown a way. The video was very impressive but the sound it was really thrilled me. I plan on watching this many many times. And the fact that I got it for just $1 makes it even better. Thanks to Best Buy reward zone dollars!!!!!!

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this film in the theater, but loved it even more at home. Everything was absolutely great. My only issue, and it is probably something in my setup, was that the overall volume of the disc seemed low to me. I have a 3808ci amp and I had to crank it close to -10dB just to get a good sound out of it. Typically I run around -18 to -20.

I might need to ask a bit on the hardware boards to see if I have a setting wrong.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan

It is an issue with the 3808. This disc defaults the DRC to on. If you go into the Denon menus and reset it to 'off', you will hear the sound difference.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I wonder if this was the issue with my Onkyo 705 as well... We are used to 'feeling' the explosions and last night we didn't (at least until I turned the volume up).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

The following applies to My TX-SR606 - which might apply to other Onkyo's AVRs.

When I 1st got my TX-SR606, I discovered that my HD DVD & Blu-ray TrueHD discs LFE bass were weak. I checked all the "Audio" settings, ... and found that the default for the following Audio option was ...

1) Late Night = AUTO (Onkyo's default for TrueHD - Manual pg. 69)

... Once I discovered that, I changed ...

1) Late Night = OFF (no more enemic LFE!!! :D)

Knowing the above, "Iron Man" TrueHD changed Late Night = AUTO, ... so I changed it back = OFF during the Paramount Logo screen.

Phil

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I watched it last night (like some here for the very first time) and while I don't think it's better than The Dark Knight, they don't have anything much in common to be worth comparing anyway. Just because they're both 'comic book movies' doesn't mean they have to be compared to each other, and I don't see a point in doing that.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I dont really think its a matter of comapring the movies themselves but peoples personal reactions to them. I am another that certainly enjoyed Iron Man quite a bit more than The Dark Night. But this is all personal preference and opinion anyway.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
On top of this being the best comic book movie to date the TrueHD track has got to be one of the best as well. The detail in all channels, the bass and the overall envelopment of the track is beyond impressive. This has got to rank as one of the best Blu-ray discs available right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks