What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: I Am Legend (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_1703244.jpg">

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for the review, Mike.

One of the initial reasons why I chose not to purchase this
title was because when announced, it seemed that the alternative
ending was not included. Granted, this could have been limited to
the HD-DVD release.

According to your review the alternative ending is included.
This may prompt an immediate purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked this film better than most that have read the book so I'm looking forward to my copy's arrival. Furthermore, I can't wait until I see the alternate ending. I was never a big fan of "Omega Man", though I own the BR disc of it. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it just that it isn't one of my favorite films of that genre. I feel the same about "The Last Man on Earth" that I have on SD DVD. I think neither film has the acting performance that Smith delivers in this latest version of this written material.

However, you're right about one thing, the CGI was horrible which hurts the film to a degree and probably affected the reviews of others about this film.

Crawdaddy

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh come on there is nothing quite like a good early 70s doomsday sci-fi flick starring Chuck Heston!

Can you say guilty pleasure? :D

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I went in with a tad bit of low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

While it's not even near a perfect adaptation (I've given up that there ever will be) and add the fact that the concept isn't exactly fresh anymore as it's been ripped off so frequently over the years by Romero and his imitators, Boyle, etc, etc. I'd say Smith's performance (it's amazing what he can do without the usual one-liners) brought the film to a higher level.

It was a worthy blind-buy for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a blind buy for me, too. Just couldn't pass up Amazon's amazing price reduction on this title. (I wish they'd do it with MICHAEL CLAYTON.)

I was very pleasantly surprised by how effective it was (I jumped in my chair several times) and how fresh it seemed even though I reviewed the BD of THE OMEGA MAN just a month or so ago. The CGI was the weak link to be sure, but otherwise, I found it an entertaining popcorn movie and one I'll revisit with pleasure.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
CGI is certainly weak when viewing in HD. I think the HD medium will put even more demands on CGI technology.

Jim - I also agree that it's great to see Smith in a performance without one-liners. I hate one liners...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also did a blind buy of this disc because of amazon's great price. Hopefully their sales of this title @ $18.95 will encourage similar pricing schemes in the future.

It is still on its way to me...but I am very much looking forward to it.

Thanks for the review, Michael (and Ken)! I like this tag team approach to reviews! What's next...steel cage matches!?! :D

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Like the review said, the first two-thirds of the movie are pretty great. Once the Dark Seekers are revealed, the rest of the movie sort of falls apart for me. Didn't really like the ending and they didn't expand enough on the progress of the creatures. I actually liked the documentary on viruses more than the actual film. One of the few special features I've watched in a long time.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Blind buy for me. Did enjoy, and preferred the alternate ending.

Could someone familiar with the book post that ending here, preferably with spoiler tags?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I would agree, but unfortunately it makes the third act's shortcomings all the more difficult for me to bear. Alas, two-thirds of a good movie does not a purchase make for me no matter how good a price or reference material it may be.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The presentation of this was great, some very good surround effects. Also, the alternate ending was so much better.

What was really poor were the special effects of the zombies, some of the worst I've seen in a film in the past decade. Too bad, if they'd have gone with less CGI effects and more real-life stand in zombies, it would have helped make the film more believable and more enjoyable to watch. The zombies were nothing but a distraction for me they were so poorly done.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

No problem. It is one of my favorite books. Techically, it is a novella, as it is only approx. 160 pages. I would recommend everyone read it; however it may hamper ones ability to enjoy The Omega Man, I Am Legend, and The Last Man on Earth (and probably in that order) in the process. ;)

Edited to add:

I forgot to mention one important detail about the novella's ending, which I have added to the spoiler above.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in the theater and thought it was pretty good - I felt the first hour was MUCH better than the last half hour - but I'll give it a rental sometime.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I love this film, the disk and the fact that both endings are on it. They both have a totally different flavour from each other but I like both. Does not hurt that the a/v is great too. Thanks for the review.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I recently received this movie from Netflix (Blu-Ray). I want to watch the theatrical version first then see the alternate ending. I took a quick look at the menus and I didn't see an option to just to play the alternate ending. Could somebody let me know what chapter I should start watching the other cut to see the alternate ending? Maybe it is obvious... Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks