What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Gran Torino (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So later this month when Transformers 2 makes in its first week what Gran Turino made in its U.S. entire run, is Transformers 2 a better movie because it "works so well with viewers"?

Once again, I loved Gran Turino- it connected with me and I found it moving but clearly it didn't work as well for Cameron.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Cameron shouldn't have to write a review about why the movie works so well with other viewers. He should write a review to back up his own feelings, which is what he did. I don't agree with his opinion but I don't want him to do some fake review where he gives the opinions of other people.

I enjoy reading various opinions on movies so I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. If you posted a review here to show the "other side" of Cameron's opinion, I'm sure no one would object and I for one would love to hear your thoughts on the film.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I finished the movie earlier tonight.

The movie was a very good movie but the end is what
makes it a great movie too me.
I don't mean what happened at the end but how it got there,
specifically the 5-10 minutes before the big scene.

Rob, you criticized the review without being specific and without offering a review of the movie yourself.

I give it 4.5 / 5
one of Clint's best and the ending seemed to be maybe his way of saying that's it.

The acting by the Hmong poeple was fine and gave it a real feel.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Anyone can confirm if the blu ray have the same subtitles font as the DVD ?
The DVD subs are pointy and near unreadable, they look like some kind of amateur bootleg custom subtitle font for a foreign movie. I have no clue how no one mentioned this in the DVD thread.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought the subs were easy to read.
ddn't seem pointy to me.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It is all subjective.

I liked the movie more than Cameron. His review is well thought out and his analysis insightful. I note the issues he had with the film as well but their detraction from my enjoyment of the movie was less than for Cameron.

C'est la vie.

Hamilton72

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Speaking of subtitles... here's a little irritant:

I just watched Gran Torino which - unfortunately - replaces the theatrical Hmong/English subtitles with player-generated ones.

That's bad enough.

But when I watched the Eastwood documentary on the disc the English subtitle defaults to "ON" and I had to go in and turn them off. WTF is THAT all about?

So is this another problem with using player-generated captions? The player then gets confused about what stream is supposed to be reading elsewhere on the disc?

I'm using a Panasonic BD-55 by the way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hamilton72

But when I watched the Eastwood documentary on the disc the English subtitle defaults to "ON" and I had to go in and turn them off. WTF is THAT all about?
I certainly don't know for sure but it sounds like a player 'hiccup' rather than a problem with the disc.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by Hamilton72

I'm using a Panasonic BD-55 by the way.
Had that happen as well. Also a Panasonic player, though (BD-50), so I can't say if it's a player issue or a disc problem.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
I still don't understand why a review of the Blu-ray disc, needs any sort of review of the film itself. It seems every Internet review that should be descriptive of the transfer, has to have a film review. I wish reviewers would stick to the transfer - the Blu-ray review, instead of the film itself. I can get a better review many other places if I need to..

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Can't you just skip the movie review, then?

It just seems like a grumpy thing to say. I believe a lot of BD users wait for titles to hit Blu-ray before they see them. I think a review of the film and then the technical aspect seems like the way to go. If I didn't, I'd just read the technical part.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by MattFini

Can't you just skip the movie review, then?

It just seems like a grumpy thing to say. I believe a lot of BD users wait for titles to hit Blu-ray before they see them. I think a review of the film and then the technical aspect seems like the way to go. If I didn't, I'd just read the technical part.
I suppose it came off as grumpy - to me it's just a bit funny/weird, that's all. I don't buy anything I have not seen before, and if I want a review, there are a lot of places to go to for more in-depth. That's all. I wish more focus would be on the transfer and such, rather that a film synopsis. This goes for many A/V publications as well. RAH does the best job :)

I don't know that a lot of users buy Blu-rays w/o having seen the film. I sure some do, but a lot? Dunno. But perhaps you're right, because I do see people with HUGE collections of DVDs/BDs. I thought my collection of 600 DVDs/BDs combined is large, but that's nothing these days!

Anyhow, no grumpiness here!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I rented this and it's the first Warner BD-Live disc I've had access to and wanted see how they executed that. So thought I'd mention there are a couple of GT extras via the BD-Live.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks