What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: GONE WITH THE WIND 70th ANNIVERSARY ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION (1 Viewer)

Adam, it's explained a little ways up in the thread, and more eloquently than I could put it. I just thought that I would post this list because I think it was unclear just how many (and which) shots were affected. Sad.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
skimmed the thread twice now (earlier and just now in more detail) and see nothing about cropping until your post, (I also did finds for "shot" and "crop", came up with nada) maybe the discussion was in another GWTW thread.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
These shots were altered for the 1954 re-release, which was the first re-release in the widescreen era. It was determined that the movie as a whole played fairly well when cropped to a mild widescreen with the exception of these few shots. So, they were recomposed and reframed so that the theatre cropping would remove the black bar rather than any significant picture information. Trouble was, these shots were then inserted into the negative and the originals were presumably destroyed. The multiple generations of duping required to do all of this is why the shots themselves traditionally look muddier than the rest of the film, although they don't look too bad on the BluRay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks