What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: Friday the 13th Uncut (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll want the whole set (that remake too) in Bluray someday. The BD shots look cool! I like the extra clarity and more natural color. time will tell if I return to the box set versions of some of these.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I never would have noticed the cropping if someone hadn't mentioned it. The framing looks quite good to me.

The biggest improvement is the sound quality. TrueHD Manfredini score is awesome.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Amazon has parts 2 & 3 up for pre-order with a 2/24 release date. These are the UK versions for those interested. Apparently part 3 will NOT be in 3-D though. Images from Shocktillyoudrop.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the release date is 2/9, and Amazon.uk and other online stores have started shipping copies. Rumor is they are region free, but the extras are in standard def PAL.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks. The U.S. Amazon must still have the wrong date but since when have they started carrying UK releases?

My girlfriend came home from the store today with a copy of the Blu. Thought the extras were pretty good even though a lot of stories kept getting retold. I was going to watch the film tonight but the extras showed so many clips that I'm actually tired of seeing them right now. I did flip around and didn't think the transfer was as bad as some of the screenshots showed.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Is it true that Blu-rays from other regions will always play on any Blu player? A friend brought over a Bergman film on Blu-ray last night, and he tells me all Blu's from any regions will play, unlike with SD.

I want all the F13 movies on Blu-ray, but I don't know if I'd ever buy PART 3 on Blu unless it was in 3-D. That's how it was meant to be seen, so I'd probably stick with the SD in 3-D for that one, if I had to.

And I know this will irk some people - but what's with these new generic covers? I just wish the companies would use the original poster art.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Travis is right, 3 regions. Japan is in the same region as the U.S. but Europe is region B. Many discs are region 0, but that doesnt garentee they will play in U.S. machines.

This site will help.

Blu-Ray Region Code Info

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator

Amazon now carries imports of films not yet released in the U.S. that are region free. For example, they have the Batman films that have been released in the UK. It usually takes some time for them to receive them, and they are usually pretty expensive. It's cheaper to order directly from Amazon.uk, even including the shipping charges.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
In a somewhat related subject, I saw the remake tonight. The teen actors are hampered by some awful writing, but Jason is awesome. He's Steve Dash and Ted White with more brain cells.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must say i'm distressed about this release being cropped, I bought the BD today without reading this thread first (that'll teach me), if I had known I wouldn't have bought it.

I'm going to keep it but it's going to irk the shit out of me whenever I watch it knowing it's there.

Also, I accessed the special feature The Friday the 13th Chronicles and the entire video was in this tiny window in top left-hand corner of my screen only. :confused:

Has anyone else had it like that?

EDIT: Watching it now, I do notice that some shots look a smidge tight but as for the video quality itself the film looks damn awesome! :emoji_thumbsup: And to answer Pat's question yes, we did need this film in HD.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just watched the scene where Kevin Bacon gets it through the throat, I can't say I like that added angle looking down, it reveals the phony neck and body Bacon was wearing too much and actually weakens the scene.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I agree about the extended Bacon death scene. Here's a case where the added footage actually takes away from it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I think part of it is that if he was actually being killed, his neck wouldn't be stretched that 'long' and there would be some movement in his shoulders.

As for the cropping, I've yet to see any proof that the previous releases were correct and this one is wrong.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny

I never owned the original cut version but if I look at the horrordvd's screencap of the main credit sequence (which should be nicely centered in the middle of the frame) of the cut version it looks like it has too much space on the left side and the bottom of the credit could be closer to the edge of the frame as well, so to me the previous release looks to be the wrongly framed one.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
A buddy and I watched "The Final Chapter" the other night, and the footage from the original film that opens the film matches up with the uncut version of the film. Also, some members on other forums did the same thing with part 2's opening recap as well, and the results were the same. It appears that the uncut version is the correct one after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks