What's new

HTF Blu Ray Review: Digital Video Essentials - HD Basics (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_dve.jpg">

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Thanks for the review!

I have a question: Since I have already the standard DVE version on DVD and have already calibrated my display with the DVD running in the BD player, is there any reason to buy it on BD again? Is there a reason to assume, that the DVD version will not work for calibration for BD?

I am speaking mainly of contrast and brightness. I have no need for the HD intro etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good question and I meant to address this in my review! I found that having done an initial calibration on my PS3 first using the original DVD Essentials and then double checking those settings using the THX optimizer on Ratatouille there weren't MAJOR differences, but I did dial in a bit more exactingly, and the shuttle launch and other demo materials looked much cleaner for example.

Sam

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the review.

I have a question. For people like me that want to pop the disk in and jump STRAIGHT to the audio and video calibrations test signals, how do you do it? Is it easy to do. I hate to navigate around and around looking for audio tests when I want to do them quickly. DVE for DVD was bad like this. I can never remember where to go on the disk for this.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can indeed jump to any test you want if you know exactly what you need. I would have preferred a streamlined 'short course' through the critical ones, but it seemed like you were either stuck with the whole enchilada or picking and choosing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dagnabit! If this review had been a few days earlier I would have bought it with my free-shipping batch from Amazon. I wasn't willing to blind buy because the Amazon reviews were mediocre (though clearly they aren't the enthusiasts we are here) until I saw a review from somewhere I trusted.

Oh well, next Amazon order, this one goes in! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... I had been waiting for a solid review of this myself. And unfortunately, it sounds like it doesn't quite offer what I'd prefer either. I too would prefer something like an optional "short course" on top of the long version *and* an option to pick and choose. Question remains though whether it's quick-and-easy (and intuitive enough) to go the "picking and choosing" route (for subsequent uses of the disc after the initial run-through)?

OTOH, what other good alternative(s) do we really have? For SD, there was AVIA, which is what I used. But for HD, is there something else besides this DVE offering?

And thanks, Sam, for the solid review (and follow-up)! :emoji_thumbsup:

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, Amazons got it for $17, so give it a shot and I guarantee you can resell it for near that if it doesnt live up to your needs =) After all we spend on our theaters it's nice to have this inexpensive methot to make sure we are getting the most from them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Price wasn't the issue for me, but I like to get my Amazon shipments free, which requires $25 minimum. Which is why if I had seen a good review earlier I would have batched it in with my last purchase from Amazon.

No worries, it won't be long until I find another movie or book that I want from them and will batch DVE-BD along with it.

Michael_Waters

Auditioning
Not sure that this is an issue or not, but I didn't see any kind of tests for tint...only color. Wouldn't I need to adjust both to get an accurate picture?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great review! As someone who is also a firm believer that no one who takes their system seriously even a little bit shouldn't be without a calibration tool of some sort, I picked this up without question.

I must say, however, that coming off of AVIA (an invaluable disc that has served me well for years) to this was a tad intimidating because i'm so used to the test patterns and ease of use with AVIA.

This, by comparison, has much more in-depth menus and tests that i'll need time to study and learn before I attempt to use them with any degree of accuracy.

BTW, regarding some of the audio tests, some of them were quite startling...literally lol. There's a test where all you hear is someone drop a tray of dishes in the rear speakers only and it scared the crap out of me and my cat lol.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I suppose I'll pick this up.

But I'm really really looking for something with tests for ALL the current BD audio formats. Is there anything like this? IMO all the previous test/setup discs for general HT were a bit lacking in the audio dept., but I can see how this aspect could become a can'o'worms. It's just that there's no other format to get all these audio schemes AFAIK except on a BD. Or will this be another product, there's no doubt it easily could be.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I could use a little clearing up on something i'm unsure of, my player has picture settings of it's own, so when I go to calibrate my TV do I leave the player picture control settings as they are or do they need calibrating as a seperate entity before calibrating the TV?

I plan on diving into this disc tonight and studying the instructions and patterns but the above issue is hanging over my head and I need some advice before I attempt a calibration.

Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I second the query, but generally of course try to turn off or set to baseline any player processing or adjustments. The HD-XA2 has "Picture" settings for contrast, brightness, sharpness and color that can thankfully be set to "0," and other settings for things like "Mosquito NR" that can be set to "off." The BD10 has settings for contrast, brightness, color and tint which also can be set to "0."

Also, can someone who has watched/listened to the commentary/commentaries relay word on what exactly it is/they are. I'm curious about what Spielberg's dp on Empire Of the Sun has contributed to an ht calibration disc.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Here's what may be a dumb question, but since we're on the subject... does the PS3 have a similar set of picture control options (brightness, contrast, color, etc.) and if so, how the heck do you access them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks