What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: Cloverfield (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Had the opportunity to watch this film for the first time anywhere
on Blu-ray yesterday.

I was pleasantly surprised. Honestly, I was not expecting much
from this film. Thought it would be "hokey." What I got instead
was the very "something" that I should have expected from someone
like J.J. Abrams -- highly clever entertainment!

Really cool film that looked wonderful in high definition.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Got BB to pricematch target.com price ($19.95) after showing the cashier a printout from the website for those who are trying to find this disc for a decent price.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Having been severely let down by the audio on the SD DVD (the insane dynamic range of this film's track was just too much for the ol' girl I guess) I was hoping that the BD edition would remedy that problem and it sounds like it has. :emoji_thumbsup: Gotta love lossless audio! :cool:

I'm also proud to announce that i'll be getting my very first Blu Ray player for my b-day next week! I am so excited that I already bought this movie on BD even though I can't play it yet. :)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller

Yep, still waiting. They bust it out for $19.99 preorder and have me waiting.... I didn't have to wait for National Treasure 1 and 2 that I bought on pre-order. No jokes about the movies please :)

Doug

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yes sir, that's what i'm talkin' bout! :cool:

I just finished watching the film with the enhanced viewing mode with GPS (an extremely cool feature that answers a lot of the rumors and speculation surrounding the films depicted events in real time with the film along with positioning of the humans, creature and military at any given moment) and the experience was incredible!

The low end on this this thing, as was mentioned, is freakin' SICK!! And those glorious highs that were so missing on the DVD are there in spades, it rocked the joint like I hoped it would and more. :emoji_thumbsup:

Happy to be aboard the Blu-ray train fellas, let's party. :)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
This movie somehow went completely past me when it arrived in theaters. Yes, the hype (or marketing strategy) I noticed, but the name J.J. Abrams didn't got me excited enough to follow it. I wasn't even watching Lost at the time, so that's probably why I never got really interested in it.
So the Blu-ray was a blind buy for me. I knew it was a monster movie/Blair Witch Project hybrid, sort of, and that's the entire premise of the movie. I thought it was great. The hysteria gets to you, the shaking camera isn't annoying at all but extremely lifelike and you're wondering yourself what's exactly happening. The CGI was amazing. I knew the monster was CG, but to find out that almost every street was extended by computers was a revelation to me. It looks completely real.
The sound's amazing too, and I wasn't even listening to the TrueHD track (still cannot play those). The sub got a pretty good workout there.
The video, with all it's limitations is pretty good as well. Couldn't find any flaws except for the source itself. A must buy, if you ask me. Anyone who hasn't bought it is well advised to consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks