What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Bolt (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear--an answer that makes sense! :D

(Although I'm not sure why they wouldn't go ahead and release the SD version early, too. But greater minds than mine...)

Thanks!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I guess it is, but that is how I felt after looking at that art. The production art and character designs of Sanders's AD immediately struck a chord with me. Looking at those stills made me think how much I would have liked to see Sanders's version of this film on screeen. It would have been something wacky and wonderful had it not been for Lasseter and Catmull's interference.

BOLT is still good but, compared to the direction Sanders was taking the film, it is boringly conservative and generic looking and Lasseter and his pal Catmull are the ones to thank for that, hence my statement about no vision. WDFAs upcoming "Princess and The Frog" and "Rapunzel" do nothing to lessen my feeling that Lasseter and Catmull have no vision for WDFA other than for it to produce formulaic, fairy tale musicals. If there was ever a genre that needed to be put to sleep permanently it is that one.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I think that this is what Brett was referring to, about Disney pushing BD so hard. Since the BD comes with a copy on DVD too I think Disney is hoping that some non-BD owners will pick up the BD before they can buy it on DVD. They are also encouraging BD owners to buy the BD over the DVD.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm sure this is exactly what Disney's marketing arm is intending, but to me it just seems like a waste of resources. People who are buying BDs are going to buy this film on BD, regardless of the extra DVD. People who buy DVDs are going to buy the DVD only release because it is much cheaper than buying a BD/DVD combo. DVD diehards and casual movie fans are unlikely to want to spring extra dough for an HD copy that they think they won't use.

To me, the only way this strategy might succeed is to set the BD/DVD combo price at a level that is only minimally higher than the DVD only and then stress the fact that the DVD purchaser is getting a High Def copy as the bonus.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I actually have a guy in my office who is planning on buying the Pinocchio BD (since it, too, has the regular DVD included) because he knows he will, someday, be making the upgrade to Blu-ray. He is intrigued by the TRU price of $21.99 minus the $4 Sun-maid rebate (to $17.99) combined with the idea of being able to watch the BD "down the road."

I'm still not sure how releasing the BD of Bolt two days before the SD version accomplishes much.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, I can see a lot of people buying the BD/DVD combo over the DVD at that price point. 18.00 bucks (after rebate) is a pretty good price for the combo. He is getting the future proofing at minimal cost. I doubt the DVD only release would be selling for much less. Your example pretty well shows me that if studios want BD to really take off then the cost of the discs have to be brought down to the low twenties.

In the case of these BD/DVD combos, one disc or the other has to be perceived as a freebie. People who are satisfied with DVD are going to be unwilling to pay a 10 buck premium for an HD copy. If the prices were around 20 bucks a lot of people, similarly to your friend, would start picking up the BD/DVD combo because the perception would be that they are gaining future proofing at no additional cost.

BD is going to realize a slower growth curve until the studios realize that 30+ prices are going to stifle demand for anything but the most must have titles. Out of curiousity, could you ask your friend if he would have bought the BD/DVD combo at a 30 dollar price point? Or would he have just settled for the DVD release at a lower price point?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It'll have to wait until Monday, but sure.

I'm fairly confident, however, the answer is no. He specifically asked me if the DVD would be included and then what is it selling for. When I told him about the TRU price and rebate was when he said that's what he'd do.

He could go much lower on the SD version. It's selling many places for $16.99 (minus the $4 rebate to $12.99). He's watching his dollars and pennies now as closely as any of the rest of us, but knows it's only a matter of time before he ends up with an HD player to go with his HD set and HD cable DVR.

I think most people here are in complete agreement with you about the prices of BD product needing to come down before the format takes off.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Since it costs very little to stamp a DVD, I love the idea of having an SD version of the film in my BD set... certainly more use to me than having a digital-copy disc which costs just as much for the studio to produce.

Why do I want an SD DVD in my BD set? to have a copy of the movie to take on trips that can be played on portable DVD players, brought to the beach-house, or handed to the inlaw's kids to watch on any TV in the house without worrying about my precious "library" quality BD getting damaged.

The fact that it helps ease the transition to blu for consumers who aren't BD-player equipped is an obvious advantage. Certainly when buying a DVD gift for someone, it makes a perfect present as it's future-proofed, they can enjoy it now, and it helps whet that person's appetite to upgrade to a blu player to really take advantage of their HDTV. Sometimes getting a gift like that is the tipping point that some on-the-fence consumers need.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
having the SD dvd is a brilliant idea. kids watch so many movies in cars these days, you can be damn sure parents don't want to buy disney movies on blu only to find out the kid can't watch their new favorite movie in the car. the kid being able to watch it in their room or anywhere in the house that doesn't have a blu ray player is also good.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Yep. I have twin three year old and there is always a movie in the car. So far Disney is only doing this with "kids" movies, but I would like to see it expanded to all titles for some of the reasons David mentioned.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
As for the film originally being quirkier, well, meet the Robinsons had plenty of quirkiness, that doesn't mean it was a terrific movie though.

StevenW

Second Unit
IMO the present Walt Disney Studio Animation had in a sense gone back to the quality of their 70's & 80's films (really bad). That being said I wasn't expecting much going into this. But to my surprise I was really taken back to how good the film was. Needless to say this is a day one purchase for me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
FYI: Disney is going to treat Bedtime Stories that same way they did the Bolt release. The BD/DVD combo pack is going to street on Sunday while the DVD only set is relased the following Tuesday.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I actually prefer these types of releases. It's an easy sell for the wife and flexible for the children when they want to watch it in their rooms. Until I can get a BD player in each room:rolleyes:this works out great. Disney does BD good, another great video, and the kids loved it. Now if we can only get the 10.00 coupon before each Disney release it would be great.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, no kidding...that $10 coupon really helps, so I hope it comes back around for Monsters, Inc. and Bug's Life. I used the coupon at a big box retailer today and walked out with it for $19.95 including tax.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Target took the coupon $27 - $10 = $17.

I also purchased the box of pasta for $1.28 (so it's on the very same receipt) and I'll get that mail-in rebate out in tomorrow's mail.

$17 - $4 = $13. That's just crazy...but absolutely great. :emoji_thumbsup:

MatS

Screenwriter

just saying you either should have waited to purchase on Tuesday or you might need to do some arguing

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I think it's a true plus that they stick a conventional DVD in the blu ray pack. I usually want to share films and not everyone has blu ray players.

MatS

Screenwriter
it is a plus if they are not adding noticable cost by doing so
otherwise there is a reason I have moved from SD to HD

by the way what I have seen and heard of this movie thus far (only sampled a bit tonight) looked and sounded absolutely amazing ... and the story was entertaining thus far as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks