What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Big Trouble in Little China (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

The problem was that the people that got in the uproar were all people who do know the movie and had already decided.
Well, sure. We were afraid the uninitiated would be mislead...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottJH

Under the TV spots there is a listing for "Teaser". Could this be the longer Trailer B? It runs for 1:32. Don't have the 2 disc DVD to compare.
Unfortunately, 'Trailer B' on the Blu-ray isn't the 'Teaser' on the DVD.

Trailer B on the Blu-ray runs 55 seconds and Trailer B on the DVD runs 1 minute and 27 seconds. They are edited slightly different and the Blu-ray Trailer B is missing 5 seconds of the green band (with the "This preview is suitable for all audiences" info) and 27 seconds of footage compared to the Trailer B on the DVD. It's weird that every other video supplement is ported over but they chose to use a slightly different version of a trailer.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]But that dialogue! Kate Burton’s first few speeches sound like Exposition 101 from screenwriting class they’re so awkwardly written (and delivered by the actress who was making her screen debut)."

With comments like these, it's obvious the poor guy missed the boat![/COLOR]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kate Burton is the actress who plays Margo. I can't speak for Matt but I don't think he mixed up Jack Burton the character with Kate Burton the actress. He was criticizing the performance of Kate Burton and the dialogue she was given.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Doug Otte ">[/url]

Indeed! And who's Kate Burton, BTW...?
Doug
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, wasn't she related to someone famous? And didn't she do some other stuff that people might have seen?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I should have taken a moment to find out who she was. I assumed the reviewer was mixing up names in the movie, and had never noticed the actress' name in all the times I've watched the movie. Anyway, I thought she did a fine job w/ her smallish role. Everyone sounds a little stilted and silly reading their dialogue in this movie. I always thought it was intentional...

Doug

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
BTW, and I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but when Egg's bus has to swerve to avoid Jack's truck early in the movie, I'm pretty sure it's Kate Burton jumping out of the way on the sidewalk when he sideswipes the trash cans.

Doug

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else skip the opening dialogue by Egg Shen and just start the movie with the opening credits and the truck driving in the rain? I find the movie plays much better that way (as did the original Dark City, without the opening monologue which has since be removed in the Director's Cut).

I thought I heard/read somewhere (maybe in the commentary?) that the Egg Shen intro was suggested (forced?) by the studio, and that wasn't Carpenter's original intent as the opening scene. That opening monologue always seemed out of place to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

I thought I heard/read somewhere (maybe in the commentary?) that the Egg Shen intro was suggested (forced?) by the studio, and that wasn't Carpenter's original intent as the opening scene. That opening monologue always seemed out of place to me.
Yeah, Carpenter says that in the commentary.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So I found this @ my local Walmart for $12.83 plus tax. An easily justifiable double dip, IMHO. I'll keep the DVD release for the features that weren't ported over, but comparing the upscaled DVD on my Toshi HD-A30 to the Blu, no comparison: the Blu is gorgeous, while the DVD looks smeary and very electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks