What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Battle of Britain (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_27442436.jpg">

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Michael...

Actually, quite a number of model aircraft used in the shoot.

And it should look terrific, as it was photographed by the incomparable Freddie Young, BSC.

Can't wait to see this one.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is Fox asking me to pay $40 to upgrade a 2-disc special edition with perfectly good PQ to a BD with no extras whatsoever?

(Yes, that's a rhetorical question. ;) )

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Here we go again!

Aaron, my advice is to buy this from e.g. Amazon.com where it´s $27.95. So no, Fox is not asking you to "pay $40".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He did say it was rhetorical. It looked like a tongue-in-cheek question, posted in advance of the complaints about FOX's pricing strategy that are sure to follow.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Robert

I saw some model aircraft, but there was probably more than I caught. Models fool my eye, CGI doesn't! Great integration of the models.

Mike

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll take the bait.:) That's still $10 too high! This title will have to wait for a sale due to principle of the matter. The same applies to "A Bridge Too Far".

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

;)

Yes, I would say, that they should sell these at "max 20$", at least those that have no extras. Again, I feel that this is one of their "older titles" (I believe announced long time ago? - May, 2007 if I´m not mistaken) like "Commando" and "Predator" and all these are missing extras for some reason. It´s sad, of course.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
At least with Patton and the Longest Day they include the SE stuff on a standard disc (aka a DVD). They dropped everything on Battle and Bridge, sigh. I wonder if this has to do with those two titles being MGM and the rest being Fox?? You'd think if they bought MGM they bought the SE stuff too right? Perhaps it's just laziness on the Fox Blu division.

I've yet to look any closer at the Sand Pebbles.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
$40, $27, it's still WAY too much for my taste. $15 is about my limit these days. It's not like I don't have 1000 DVDs I never got around to watching.

I am pretty much not upgrading anything unless it's an all-time favorite (in, say, my top 20) anyway.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Fox did not buy MGM. They own no part of MGM. MGM just switched its distribution deal away from Sony.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This has been re-released (like several others, I guess): http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Britain-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Packaging/dp/B003ZD9DU2/ My question is, that does this 2-disc Blu-ray/DVD combo include any extras? My apologies, if there's a thread about these re-releases already..

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with the original review's contention that the edge haloes only come in scenes where actors contrast agaiunst the sky - the haloes are everywhere. Indoors, outdoors - you name it.

I strongly suspect this is the same transfer as the 2006 DVD - MGM just plopped it onto a Blu-ray. The movie needs a new transfer - this one's got too much "artificial sharpness"... :(

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, you've obviously thought about this for quite some time .... so I better take a look in a year or so and see if I agree!

Though, as before, I'll probably just get swept up by what a great story it tells and forget to check that detail. What a great movie. I always get amused by people who complain about its length and about how long it takes to get started .. just like the war itself, in fact .....

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
AnthonyClarke said:
Well, you've obviously thought about this for quite some time .... so I better take a look in a year or so and see if I agree!

Though, as before, I'll probably just get swept up by what a great story it tells and forget to check that detail. What a great movie. I always get amused by people who complain about its length and about how long it takes to get started .. just like the war itself, in fact .....

I guess you're replying to me. I've not "thought about this for some time" - I rented the Blu-ray and watched it tonight for the first time.

If you get "swept up" enough that problems with the transfer don't bother you, that's fine, but I don't think it makes sense to laugh at people who want the movie to look good...

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Did I laugh at you?

I don't think so ... I certainly hadn't thought of doing so nor intended to do so ... and if it upset you in any way, I'm sorry.

But feel free to feel offended in some strange way if it pleases you to do so. Whatever turns you on.....

Just don't accuse me of such stupid behaviour .. this is a very civilised forum and I've never tried to laugh at anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks