What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: A Passage to India (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ronsreviews_covers_1844777.jpg">

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This will be an enthusiastic blind buy for me! Thanks, Richard, for the excellent review.

Looking forward to the HD transfer of what-I-hear is luscious cinematography! This will be a treat.

The screen captures at DVD Beaver look absolutely stunning.

I am enthusiastic about giving this a try...even though I had big troubles making it through E.M. Forster's book in college (nearly 30 years ago)! ;)

And it never hurts to get the RAH seal of approval as I just read in his other thread on this title.

Oh. And the price is right. I hope studios start to recognize how customers will positively respond to lower pricepoints.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Thanks for tipping me off about RAH's comments. He is the expert, so I'm relieved that he agrees with me!

I should have mentioned that the MSRP is $28.95, which is very reasonable for BD. Amazon has it for $19.95.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Now that is awesome. Would that all such features worked like that.

Richard, how long are the featurettes on David Lean? Did you find them interesting?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thank you Richard

David Lean films are always worth consideration.
Nice news on the aspect ratio.

BIP

Auditioning
Real Name
Bogi Palfay
It's region free.

you can check on

bluray.liesinc.net

Cheers

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

"Reflections of David Lean" looks like it was made shortly after A Passage to India was filmed. It consists mostly of clips from an interview with Lean. He talks about actors (most of whom he apparently didn't much for, though he has nice things to say about William Holden and Alec Guinness). He also takes about the changes he had to make to transform the novel into a film. It runs 8 minutes, 15 seconds.

"David Lean: Shooting With the Master" appears to have been made recently for the new Blu-ray and DVD releases. It includes interviews with members of the cast and crew, all of whom respected Lean but some found him very difficult to work with. Nigel Havers and James Fox are a couple of the cast members who appear. Lean knew exactly what he wanted to create and he wasn't very receptive to suggestions from his actors. It runs 13 minutes, 20 seconds and is in widescreen.

Both are very interesting and give the viewer some good insights into how Lean worked.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There was a superb British TV documentary titled "David Lean: A Life in Film" about the making of the film which was shown in the UK when the film was first released. It was about 150 minutes long and was a very detailed look at Lean directing the film. I don't think it was ever broadcast again. A pity it could not have been included with this DVD.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Was that the 2 part doco broadcast on the South Bank show, Douglas? I have a copy somewhere of that on Beta would you believe. Shame its not with this BD as I recall it was a most comprehensive look at his career and this film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Sony may not own the rights to it. If it was produced by the channel which aired it and not by Columbia Pictures Television or anyone who had an actual hand in making the film, they probably don't own it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The studio has done justice to this masterpiece, in my humble opinion.

Sony / Columbia might not be aware of the documentary.
I'd love to see it myself.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yes it was shown by London Weekend Television as part of their series The South Bank Show. Given the demise of LWT, who knows if it even exists now - other than on your Beta tape!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks