What's new

HTF BD REVIEW: The Passion of the Christ - Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This one is a tough choice for me. I thought it was one of the most moving films I've ever seen and yet it's one that is also difficult to review. The content alone can make it feel (for me personally) strange to critique.

Eventhough the Oscar nominated score is fabulous and still holds it's power today, and the cinematography is tops, POTC is very hard to watch. We watched the DVD a couple of times-one time was at church. I'm not sure I can seriously handle the higher resolution of certain scenes. It was already brutal and I'm just not sure I can do it.

It's a very powerful & moving film.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Had to stifle a giggle, as I just realised (thanks to Tim's post) that Pirates of the Caribbean and The Passion of the Christ share the same acronym. Two films really couldn't be any more different.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And to think Johnny Depp might've been thisclose to being cast in the title role of The Passion...

:D

THAT would've likely changed the feel of the movie...especially if he had brought his Keith Richards swagger to the role.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I have this and Schindler's on dvd & have never spun either of them. Glad to know I'm not alone on this buying & not watching thing. Makes me feel a little better re: my illogical spending decisions.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
guys, the picture quality isn't that bad. a 3.5 score is still very good. it doesn't make it trash. it's rated against other titles I've watched...and really it's against other Fox titles because I haven't the time to watch anything else. so for the most part, my rating scores are rated against other Fox product.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

the D-Theater(on the 5u deck via HDMI) was pretty much the best looking thing I have ever seen, bar nothing from any format

-Gary

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

its 10 fold tougher to watch with the better sound and video for sure, but just so well made and put together that it still boggles the mind how good this film is

-Gary

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
interesting anecdote:

The Passion of the Christ made most of its money domestically and in the western world... but if you check out the box office record in the Far East... it's quite a different story. feedback from that region of the world often include: "who the heck is this?", "why are they whipping him?", "what has he done?" even with subtitles.

while those of us who grew up in the Judeo-Christian west know the gist of the Jesus Christ story, many in the East didn't grow up with the knowledge of his story. they were completely lost when they stepped into the film because Gibson placed the audience in medias res of the action. while it made sense to people who know the story, it won't if you haven't read it or heard about it through others.

the film was largely ignored by the Far East.

Is the pink/red tint over the picture artistic intent or a problem with the transfer? Faces are pink, light from fire is pink, and brick walls are pink. I can't remember the look in the theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks