What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VIII (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
Thanks for the warning Kong. Fansubs are not boolegs though - its an accepted practice in Japan for unlicensed anime which is the link I gave.

If someone complain I'll edit it I guess.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Speaking of unlicensed anime - I just finished Aquarion Episode 1. Holy COW I loved it. Talk about a Gundam fan's dream. The animation, scale and action are simply awesome, the pacing frantic.

Its like a pot full of Eva, Rahxephon, Gundam, Last Exile and Haibane Renmei all stirred together and a huge budget applied.

Anyway - its just started airing in Japan so we have a bit of wait for the DVDs in region 1. A must buy though.

Stacey_B

Second Unit
K...well, I've got my list...2 of which aren't finished which is why I'm justifying having 11 favorites...uhh, yeah...that makes sense! :)

In no certain order:
1. Twelve Kingdoms
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Mahoromatic
4. Haibane - Renemi
5. Kino's Journey
6. RaXephon
7. Evangelion
8. Fruits Basket
9. Fushigi Yugi (All 4)
10. ----Paranoia Agent
11. ----R.O.D. (Tv & OVA)

Ok...so I cheated abit....I couldn't decide! Don't make me take one out!!!
Watching R.O.D. Vol 6 and Chrono Crusade 5 tonight...
Stacey

Todd McF

Second Unit
Picked up Gungrave 1 for $12.99 used yesterday. Not a scratch! I'm really digging buying used DVD's these days.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Used anime is awesome - especially if the discs are in good condition... most used anime at my local suncoast runs between 9.99 and 12.99 so it's pretty cheap.

Ahem.

If any of you are into reading manga, I'd highly recommend getting Hellsing. Unlike the anime version of Hellsing, we get more interesting side characters (especially the two nuns in Section XVIII that come up as omake (bonus) in the first volume of the manga....)
and of course, more badass-ery (yes, I made it up ;) ) by Alucard, Seras Victoria, and Father Anderson (Dude - he comes back to London with a cadre of people to take out the vampires and zombies that have invaded and taken over most of the world.... Nazi vampires, no less *giggles*)

I am following a rather large list of stuff, some of which will soom be complete (and recollecting some series as well, one of which will be done soon... ) I gotta keep up with the stuff as they come out. If I can.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I don't know if I like it yet, since I'm only three episodes into it. I have heard of Ideon, and that it is highly thought of.

As for old school anime, I'm really waiting for Rose Of Versaille. It looks like it was a pretty nifty series.

Jason

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Woo, Kong:

Well, I haven't seen Risky Safety yet, but since Animeigo specializes in older material, I would figure they'd be the ones to pick it up. That being said...

Christopher:

While I would like to see more back-catalog titles, what happens when Animeigo runs out of titles to rerelease on DVD? I'd rather have a new show than the umpteenth super-platinum-dirctor's cut-extended version of NGE. I'm sure a lot of other anime fans would agree with me. Solely back-cataloging is a dead end. I could see Animeigo contracting with other companies to put out their back-catalog titles, but eventually it will end.

All:

I finally got to watch Nadia - The Motion Picture last night. I'll say this up front: I wasn't expecting a lot, and in that, I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't a horrible movie, it just wasn't good. Technically, it had the same issues as the TV series, outside of the fact that a good 20-30 minutes of footage was directly taken from the original show. For the approximately $6 it cost as part of the second Nadia collection, I don't feel too bad.

John.

Alanna

Second Unit
Max: I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but if you are thinking about Rahxephon, wait til ADV releases the thinpak collection. It will be much cheaper and judging by the Full Metal Panic box, damn sexy! =)

I dont know what's good out there that's older but would love to see Unico on DVD finally. Why isn't this out yet? Out of 800 DVDs its the only bootleg I own and only because I can't get the real thing and my VHS copy is so shaky the picture jumps all over the place and I fear the thing will break someday! The VHS is now like 20 years old! Gimme the real thing! DVD! now!!!! LOL

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'd be interested in hearing more about this Aquarion that Todd mentioned. Anyone else watching it?

EVA Plat #7 is at my local Best Buy but I'll probably wait til Tuesday to pick it up.

Kong - and any other MMORPGers - are you going to check out Guild Wars? It's a bit different in that there is no monthly fee, but it is very pretty and so far pretty entertaining to play. I joined a guild with some guys from here and Romier's LCVG site.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
While I don't think, at all, that AnimEigo should just rest on their laurels, their big emphasis has always been on putting out the best possible versions of things very important to the fan community. As such, it only makes sense [in this time of the massive expansion of the anime market] for them to first ensure that their existing products remain available. Whatever happens, I doubt AnimEigo are going out of business, simply because a collective of fans [some of whom are millionaires] is hard to break up. GAINAX are still in existence, despite having the worst business practices of anybody this side of Enron.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Alanna, thanks for the advice! I'll wait for ADV to release the thinpak then! :) Oh, and I did see the Full Metal Panic boxset at a local London Drugs for $69 CDN. I was tempted...but didn't bite! Is there a boxset set for FMP?Fumoffu yet?

Oh, and thanks for the quick review JohnAD...I'll probably pass on the Nadia movie for the time being. Got more things to watch. :)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Max:

Volume one of FMP Fumoffu comes out on 5/10. I seem to remember thay ADV wasn't going to do boxed sets any more, but I could be totally spacing. If I am, it's Friday, so it's OK :).

John.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Speaking of "cons", is anybody else going to A-Kon in Dallas at the beginning of June? [Probably not, but it rarely hurts to ask.]

Todd McF

Second Unit
James,

Full title is:
Aquarion of the Holy Genesis (Sousei no Aquarion)

You'll need to get the fansub for Aquarion since it started airing this month in Japan. You can check out some comments here:

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...ontent&id=1179

I've read some negative reviews elsewhere - pretty puzzling after I watched the episode. Its very good. Great in fact. Check out those screenshots on that link - we are talking BIG budget production. It takes itself slightly more seriously than Bakuretsu Tenshi (Burst Angel)
and the animation is better despite Bakuretsu Tenshi being Gonzo. Speaking of Burst Angel - I think that is a good series as well despite the reviews - must buy DVDs!

Fansubs exist for the first 3 episodes of Sousei no Aquarion. The fansub group is named "Mahou". They did a nice encoding job. If you don't know how to get fansubs just let me know via email.

And before anyone says anything, and I have to defend myself - go read the Interview with ADVFilms David Williams regarding his thoughts on fansubbing and Torrent networks and licensing etc.

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/m...owpage&pid=722

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I just think that all this file-swapping is going to choke the Internet to death, squeezing out everything but commercial undertakings if them, and that at no distant epoch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks