What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VII (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Actually, here's my counterproposal:
What movie or programme would you like to see redone as an anime?

For instance, Star Wars [episodes 4-6]. Just think of the fun of reimagining this through Japanese conventions... The Rebels are fighting to topple the corrupt, brutal military dictatorship known as the Galactic Republic and restore the overthrown Imperial rule in the person of Princess Rei, saved from the massacre of the Imperial Family and raised as his own by a secretly loyalist Republican Planetary Governor. Young Zoratabi Ryuunosuke joins the Rebels in the hope of reedeming the honour of his family, injured when his father, one of the Emperor's retainers, betrayed his own master and went over to the Dark Side, taking service under the evil sorceror called the President. Ryuu-maru meets his old man three times, running away once at the cost of the life of his teacher, Ken'obi, the last of an order of warrior monks; the second time being wounded near to death; and the third time killing his father and the President. Han Solo becomes one of those Oriental bandits who is forever professing his loyalty to the Emperor while breaking the law, and perhaps we can have Chuu-Baka, a giant and very stupid hamster who emits electric shocks randomly :laugh: ,

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

Ranma 1/2. As the first anime show that really caught my interest, it's a sentimental favorite. Besides, I'd love to see if anyone could actually pull it off.

The runner-up would be Martian Successor Nadesico because I just love its story and characters so much.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I don't think anyone could pull off Ranma...

I mean, guys changing into girls, pigs, pandas, etc... how do you accomplish that without being cheesy? :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
From AnimeOnDVD...

Hell YES... I was about to pick up Sailor Moon S v.1 and v.2 the other day, but I'm glad I held off! And I can FINALLY start picking up Fushigi Yuugi! YAAY! :D

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Rob:

Sheesh - it took them long enough. Since I didn't pay full price for the second box (I didn't even pay for the first one :)), I still feel I got my money's worth, but honestly, Geneon should have released Fushigi Yuugi as individual disks (or just lowered the price of the box) sooner.

John.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, way back in the day, I picked up the FY box sets for about $100 each, so it wasn't that bad.

Yay! I can finally get that back. I bought the Japanese version at a con years ago, but lost it almost immediatly.

Jason

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Don't be so careless this time, OK? :)

Does anyone else here feel that the CHOBITS soundtrack BGM [I bought "Original Soundtrack 001" out of a used bin... only Clamp-related item I own...] reflects stylistic influences of Jobim? I seem to find myself trying to whistle "Girl From Ipanema" after listening to tracks such as "And the World Also Starts Today".

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Ben,

I've thought for a long time that RANMA 1/2 would make a great live action series! With abstract, stylized backgrounds and liberal use of wire-works and bullet-time for the fight sequences.

I've come here today to invite all of you to enjoy my very own internet radio station LAUGHING COW RADIO. I thought it might be of interest here because it features (1) Anime soundtracks and (2) Shibuya-Kei (Japanese hipster music) as well as other selections from my CD collection. The station is at wakeup.to/laughingcow but to listen, you will need to sign up for a free account at Live365.com (there is a link from my homepage). It is a bit of a pain in the ass, but Live365 pays royalties, so I will never have threats from the RIAA hanging over me. In addition to Shibuya-Kei and Anime soundtracks, the station has lots of Bossa Nova, Vocalese, and other rock, jazz, and soundtrack music from the last half century. Feel free to listen when you're at work and be sure to send me comments. Enjoy!

p.s. Thanx to Jack & Ron for their permission to post this here.

p.p.s. The station is absolutely FREE. Live365 will ask you to sign up for their pay "premium" service but my radio station will always be 100% FREE for listeners.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

Someone'll probably do it someday... heck, we've already got those terrible Dragonball Z, Lupin the 3rd (which is actually coming out on R2 DVD very soon), and Gundam live-action movies and the actually very good Bishojou Senshi Sailor Moon and of course the AWESOME Great Teacher Onizuka tv series :)

Stacey_B

Second Unit
On that re-release of Fushigi Yugi, how are they doing that? As parts? Ind. disks?
The first box is 650min and that re-release says 175 minutes?

Stacey

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Stacey:

Probably as four disks, with a 7-6-7-6 episode count, which is what the boxed sets have. It sounds like they are just going to repackage the disks, and not create a new set of masters.

John.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Can anybody give me a recommendation for or against Tokyo Godfathers? I can see it in the theatre tonight, if I act fast, but I don't want to spend time and money if it's not too good.
Thanks.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Christopher:

I'll second Rob's vote. Satoshi Kon is very good, and even doing a remake, I'd pay full price to see anything he's done.

John.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
We saw Tokyo Godfathers in the theater in Ann Arbor a few weeks back - I thought it was a good movie.

It is kind of a christmas movie, with definite religous overtones. Not my thing, but I always have respect for people with a lot of spiritual beliefs (whether I agree or not).

Summation:
I would say, you could call it a Funny and Heartwarming Christmas story, Japanese style. A homeless guy, a homeless transsexual, and a homeless teenage girl find an abandoned baby and try to make things right.

Some very funny parts. Worth seeing. Anime on the big screen is sweet.

LindsayBea

Agent
Does anyone know of a good import website? I'm looking for the Inuyasha movies and I checked out DDDhouse.com but they didn't have them. Anyone know where I can get a hold of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks