What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VII (1 Viewer)

Alanna

Second Unit
ChristopherDAC: Thanks for the comments, I think I will pick it up next month then. I certainly dont mind the braindead kind of anime sometimes and that sounds like it could be amusing. :)

Just picked up Chobits #7 at Gamespot. So the collection is complete. Its my first box where I bought the DVDs seperately (as opposed to prepackaged set) so it was quite the historical moment. Or not.

I think the live action Eva movie is a mistake in general. Its going to have to be dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator (the action movie crowd - hey I'm one of them! oops) sooo it has disaster written all over it. It can't just be marketed to fans of the anime because then it will surely bomb. Its a "wait and see" kind of thing. I'd love to see a good director back this that keeps things straight, maybe add a few personal touches but has respect and admiration for the original and improves the flow instead of turning it into a different beast entirely. All the video game movies that have surfaced recently have had these problems as well as basic ideas were pilfered but the original stories were tossed by the wayside in favor of something entirely different (Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and Wing Commander come to mind). Wing Commander could have been a great movie - the story in the PC games was entertaining and pretty in-depth but NOoo, that was thrown out the door in favor of a huge turd of a script. Ahh well... just my cynical take on the situation.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I wanted to say thanks for the comments about The Big O. I'll post thoughts after I get around to watching some.

Another title I am curious about is Rahxephon, my local FYE has the first 3 volumes pretty cheap and it looked interesting. What's the consensus?

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Hey everybody,

You guys have probably discussed this ad nauseum already...but I'll ask anyway: :D

What's the difference between the Robotech Remastered and the Macross Mini Box set releases? (I know what the difference is between Robotech and Macross, I'm only speaking about the video quality). The reason I ask is, they made a really big stink about cleaning up the video for the Macross box, and I never actually bought it...but now I'm seeing "Robotech Remastered" and wondering: Is this the same video master that was used on the highly touted Macross box? And if it is then I won't buy the Macross Box, because I saw the quality of the episodes on Robotech Remastered 1 and thought the quality was generally REALLY bad.

Anybody have both that can confirm whether Macross video quality is light years better (crosses fingers) than Robotech Remastered? (God I hope so!)

As a completist, I need to own both obviously! :D

-Dennis

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Has anyone heard anything about the anime Kaze no Yojimbo?
Is it supposed to be good/bad? I saw the review on animeondvd I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about it...:)
Stacey

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I ended up picking up the first 2 volumes of RahXephon. I like it, not one of my faves, but I am enjoying it!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I actually watched a good part of RahXephon at Anime Express last night.... GOOD STUFF! I'm gonna have to pick up the rest of this series pretty soon ;)

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Rob,
And why exactly don't you already OWN RahXephon? hehe....

I'm still plodding my way through Mahoromatic, starting the 2nd part tomarrow. I finished off Someday's Dreamers yesterday. Decent little show...worth a watch at least. Not one of my fave's though.

Dave has me FINALLY watching Evangelion...funny how I'm pretty much a Gainax whore but I haven't seen that. I'm plowing through everything else though!

Watched the 2nd disk of Magical Shopping Arcade this morning..pretty decent stuff. I think I only laughed a couple of times but the story was pretty amusing enough...I'm curious to see the "magical girl" eps. in the 3rd disk...that's also lined up for tomarrow...:)
Now, off to 3rd shift! Ug.
Stacey
PS. I guess it's been pretty much a Gainax couple of days now that I look at it....hrm....Magical Shopping arcade, Evangelion and Maho. hhhrrrmmm.....

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
ChristopherDAC and Alanna:
Now you've got me stating what I think about the live action version of Evangelion. However, I haven't seen the series, so I can't really talk about what specific changes I think will be made. Here goes...

If you ask me, the project has been doomed from the get go. There are a few paths that this film could take: being faithful to the anime, getting a really limited release, and a major box office disaster; being a big summer action movie and doing fairly well; a summer action movie and a flop. However, the path that this project will most likely follow is the pit of despair path. That's right, I know that this film will never be made. Here are my reasons...

1. It would require a big budget and it definitely would not make back the budget at the box office, much less turn a profit.

2. They will run out of money during production, will beg major US studios for money, and will be turned down due to the extremely limited appeal of the film.

3. They will realize that the film has no chance of getting a wide release.

4. They will realize that if they change the names of characters and other things, the "otaku" type people will bitch and boycott the movie.

So, all this said, that is why I expect this thing to never be made! :D

Speaking of RahXephon, I still have to get the last two volumes!

Also, speaking of FLCL, I've got that taped, and gotta watch it one of these days! :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Tony, the Eva movie is going to make a LOT of money in Japan (after all it is one of the most popular anime of all time).

Hideaki Anno has said for the creators of the live-action version to "go wild" and be creative with their project... so it'll be interesting to see what they create.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
:rolleyes:Oh yeah, it's not very popular... that's why my local Best Buy, Suncoast, Target, and Wal*Mart (okay, they just have DBZ and YGO, but that's beside the point) have their own anime sections. :D

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Yes, I bought FLCL awhile ago...I still remember reading about that and thinking it would suck. (robots out of his head?!?!) haha....Boy was I wrong!
Stacey

Eric F

Screenwriter
I think RahXephon sucks. Art is nice, but I didn't like the story much.

DDD shipped my Sailor Moon S1&S2 for $80. Pretty good.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Alanna:

Burn Up W is very light and fluffy, but has lots (and I do mean lots) of fanservice. I just wish ADV could've added the jiggle counter to that one, too.

Chris:

The story gets better as it goes along, IMHO.

Dennis:

Well, as a proud owner of the pre-order boxed set of Macross, the PQ is great compared to the VHS quality of the original Robotech. However, it should be noted that the animation quality is from 1982, so it's not going to look like a new show from last year.

I just checked the forums over at Anime on DVD, and the master itself is the same as the AnimEigo one, although the encoding is different, since they put an extra episode (5, vs. 4 for AnimEigo) on each disk. Also, some people have noted some issues with ADV's aliasing.

All:

We got our move finished on Saturday, and I finally got to watch some anime on Sunday. I watched Martian Successor Nadesico vol. 5. I needed my fix :D.

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'm so sick of anime after 2 3-day cons in the last 3 weeks (MegaCon and Anime Express VII)

So, I'm taking a week off. ;)

I'm sad though, I have to miss JACON this year because my best friend is graduating from high school on that same weekend (he is also missing it too, as he was supposed to come) :frowning: Oh well, I've still got Otakon XI (staff), Yasumicon II, Anime Festival Orlando V and Otakucon I to go to this year.

Next year I'm going to be going to less smaller cons and saving my money for DragonCon and Anime Weekend Atlanta... I really hate Georgia though, it's the armpit of the south ;)

I don't know if any of you are really into the con scene, but I treat them like mini vacations. They're a lot of fun, and if you've got a couple friends to share rooms with CHEAP FUN! ;)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
What does anybody think about Sakura Wars Goka Kenran, that is the 1999-2000 OVA? I am interested in it primarily because it is one of the few Dolby Digital LD anime. Same remarks apply for Sol Bianca: the Legacy: has anyone seen this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks