What's new

HT solid or wood construction? (1 Viewer)

kess

Auditioning
I am planning a HT which will be built around my choice of equipment, so the HT building can be the perfect size for my requirements. The question is whether to construct solid with concrete floor and block walls or an entirelly wooden construction? A wooden building does not require planning permission, and does a wooden construction have better acoustic properties?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Even if you build the shell out of concrete, you will still have studs, sheetrock and most likely some form of accoustical treatment. The way you finish off the interior will affect your sound a lot more than the shell materials. The one sort-of exception is the floor. The concrete will affect base response, but you could always put plywood down over it. As to getting permission, you will have to check with your local city/county. Where I live it makes no difference if it's wood or cement blocks, I would have to get the same permits.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I would only go with block walls if you are concerned with sound being a problem outside your HT. Or, you want to watch movies during a tornado. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks