What's new

HT Seating Distance Advice (1 Viewer)

das9974

Auditioning
Real Name
David Searls
Hello! I am new to this forum and in need of some friendly advice. I'm getting ready to start on a HT project and I am unsure about the seating distance, especially the front row. I would like to have a screen that's 110" where the 1st row of seating will be approximately 9-10' from the screen. The 2nd row seating will be 15-16' from the screen. These measurements are from the eye viewing distance to the screen. Will this work or is my 1st row going to be too close? If so, do I need to consider going to a smaller screen instead? Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends on the aspect ratio of your 110" screen... 16x9? 2.4:1? What? The "general guideline" is a 30degree angle from the edges of 16x9. And... Twice in distance as the "height" of 2.4:1. So, if you do some "quick math" and use your 110" for "one of them" and figure out the size of the "other image"(cause they won't be the same)... You end up with two different seating distances.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
First of all, welcome to the HTF. I assume that 110" is the diagonal measurement of a 16:9 Aspect Ratio Screen and that you will being (at least some) High Definition sources. Those seating distances sound fine to me for a screen of that size. While room dimensions, seating distances, and Front Projector location, zoom, and throw capabilities are all factors in selecting a screen size, please note that the light output of your projector is also something to keep in mind when selecting a screen. If the Front Projector light output is limited (relatively speaking) then a smaller screen may be warranted. Just depends upon what FP is lighting the screen. More information about your plans might help in advising you. Good luck with your HT project. - Walter.

das9974

Auditioning
Real Name
David Searls
Thanks Walter! Here is some additional information: Yes, 110" diagonal and a aspect ratio of 16:9 with HDTV. The room is sorta odd shaped but the main viewing area is 17' wide and 18' deep with 9' ceilings. I have been looking at the Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector (1080p, 2000 lumens, 300,000:1 contrast ratio). The projector will be ceiling mounted somewhere between 14-15' from the screen. I currently have 5 theater chairs that recline. The 1st row will have two chairs and the 2nd row will have three chairs which will also be on a platform. I am very new to all of this and have only recently starting researching everything. Any help/suggestions to get me pointed in the right direction is very much appreciated! Thanks! das9974

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The problem with having 2 rows of seats is you cannot please everyone. You have to compromise. You should think about 2 things: 1) How often will the front row be used? 2) Where will you sit(the prime seat)? I would base screen size on where I am going to sit(prime seat). In your setup, I would sit in the rear row, and go with a 120" diagonal screen.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Ambient light is also usually a consideration regarding screen size and distance. However, I'm using a Panasonic 7000 projector at a similar distance to what you are considering. My room is about 22' x 13' with a height of 9.5'. I'm projecting across the width of the room, a distance of around 14', through an optical glass port in the back wall, from a ceiling mount. I'm using a DIY screen with white blackout cloth stretched over a frame, with a 2.4:1 aspect ratio, 126"x 53", with a viewing distance of about 10 feet. After running a calbration disc in a dark room, I'm using about 50% brightness watching movies, and usually about 30% brightness for everything else. The image is bright enough to view with the lights on. I also use a Lutron unit to control the intensity of ambient light, when I have the lights on. There are no windows (other than the projector port) in the room. Nobody has complained about the image being to large. Regarding the size you have in mind, anything you like will probably work. Leave enough room around the projector for adequate ventillation. The projector is pretty quiet. You might want to consider doing the screen last. Try different sizes on the wall. If you want to be fancy, you can spray paint the wall white, but be advised that your final construction will probably become slower after you do. After trying things out, you may change your mind about screen size. I'd also make the decision about size from your primary viewing area (with the best sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks