What's new

HT-in-a-box VS. decent system for under $700? (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Kevin, I put together a small home theater setup about 10 months ago with a budget of $700. I picked up an entry level DD/DTS Pioneer receiver for $200. Today, one may be able to get the VSX-D510 or whatever they're calling the newest model for around the same price. Also, I grabbed a set of Sony speakers including active subwoofer for $300 - SA-VE315? (they sound decent to me in our small den and my wife loves the small satellites - that was a requirement) and finally a Toshiba DVD player for $200. Today one could pick up the SD-2705 which is a 5 disc changer for around $200.
good luck,
--tom

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have set-up an HTB 504 at a friend's house. Good deal for the money and frankly quite nice sounding for something in that range. The DPL II also is quite fun. While I only had time to watch a few scenes from a Jerry Maguire ( did I spell that right?), it was fun to hear some LFEs and ambient surround sound from an old VHS tape. But needless to say, the system proved itself worthy when I put in my DTS Demo DVDs, Godzilla and The Patriot. That part where Mel rescues his son Gabriel has been a favorite of mine for demonstrating discreet channels. Really puts out the "wows" from the audience.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
thanks for not flamin'
Wouldn't dream of it, Ted. (your comments were clearly comments on quality, and not flaming me). Also, I got the 6 KLH bookshelf speakers and 100W powered sub for $200 flat, delivered (Christmas sale at BB, and free shipping cause they goofed the order). Until I can afford good quality speakers, I can't imagine a better value for the price.
Something else that hasn't been mentioned is the quality vs. convenience. If the original poster or his friend aren't bargain hunters, then it's worth the saved time and effort to just get the HTiB package, and be done with it.

You said you talked your friend into a Sony 32" Wega ($1000). Perhaps it would be better getting, say a Toshiba 32" TV ($500). You would then have $1200 for the rcvr/dvd/spkrs, or about $650 for the speakers.
I concur with this statement. I have a toshiba 32" & a friend of mine has the wega 32" & the only thing i like better & that it has different than my toshiba is 16x9 squeeze. Is that worth paying double?
confused.gif

------------------

. my golden rule of audio is that if it sounds good to the person, then that is all that matters. as long as you enjoy them, screw everyone else!
Bravo!!!!
I have seen to many people tell others that anything under a sertan price point for speakers ect. is crap.
------------------

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
$700 is pretty tough, but I'll suggest the bookshelf RCA speakers from Radio Shack. They have Lineaum dipole tweeters which are quite good for the price, and the build quality is decent too. You won't mistake them for NHTs or B&Ws, but they'll blow away any of the HT in a box speakers, and the stuff Best Buy carries (Bose, JBL, Cerwin Vega!, KLH, etc.). The RCA speakers go on sale all the time for around $120 pr. The matching center is about the same price as well. Radio Shack also carries a powered sub, but I don't know how good it is. I think it's around $150. I'd then look for a cheap DD/DTS receiver (Technics, Pioneer, Sony, etc.) which should run around $200 or so. Then look for a cheap $150 DVD player from Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, or Panasonic. This is a little more than $700, but your friend could forgo the rears for a while. This system should provide far better sound than the Sony or Kenwood HT in a box. If he could extend his budget by a few hundred dollars, however, he could move up to some mid-fi gear instead of low-fi. Sometimes it's better to wait and spend a bit more to get something decent than to spend a bit less and be disappointed. The Wegas are nice TVs, and deserve an HT to match.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
[Edited last by Justin Doring on July 15, 2001 at 03:01 AM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I just put together the 504 HTB package (5.1 & DTS sound-- ROCK) today with the help and guidance of HTF man about town Jared Butler, who deserves sainthood for his help and patience. My laserdiscs look a million times better and the sound -- which I haven't had the opportunity to really test out as it's 2 AM and my neighbors will kill me -- is astonishing. Threw in my Criterion Sid & Nancy LD, as well as Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans DTS and Requiem For a Dream. All sound great.
Now I can finally understand what all the griping is about with sound on the forum as I'm no longer listening through my TV speakers!
For those who live in apartments/condos and don't want to spend a ton of jack, this is a solid option (Fry's had 'em on sale for $399 last week).

David Ki

Agent
Get the Kenwood 504 and a 5 disk Toshiba player. That will give the most bang for the buck for that price. That is unless he is willing to buy used.
No sense wasting time mixing and matching on something the end user may not even hear a difference in. Most people around here will just knock these "low end" systems at "low end" prices just to justify their overpriced equipment. Tell him to buy what he wants and that is what will make him happiest.
I bet if I posted that I bought a duck for $10, somebody would post that they bought a duck for $100 and it quacks better than mine.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
For everyone recommending the Kenwood HTB-504, is it really worth ~$200 more than the HTB-204? I notice the HTB-504 has 100 additional watts of power and S-Video input, but is the added cost justified for what is an interim system for most people?
I only ask because I've been considering both the HTB-204 and the HTB-504 for my new studio apartment (500 square feet). Cost is a bit of a factor since I'm trying to pay a few things off, and (considering my previous neighbor) I'm also not interested in making that much noise.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it meant to "be bullish."

David Ki

Agent
the 204 is fine too, I think everyone was just tring to spend the full $700. Be sure the subwoofer is powered, their website doen't say it is and I know they throw the passive subs in sometimes.
[Edited last by David Ki on July 16, 2001 at 01:16 PM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bet if I posted that I bought a duck for $10, somebody would post that they bought a duck for $100 and it quacks better than mine.
Well, I looked at the $10 duck, but it didn't quack in DTS, whereas my $100 Duck quacks in 6.1 DTS Discrete.
So there!
biggrin.gif

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lmao...
laugh.gif

------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

David Ki

Agent
How good are JVC theater systems?
I noticed next weeks Best Buy ad (July 22) will have the JVC DSTP450 system for $500 (100 watts/channel and 120 watt powered sub), and you get a free $130 Apex DVD player and home theater coupon book free instantly.
P.S., my duck does quack DTS, I bought an add on Vocal cord for $5. He also has a 1000 watt powered subwoofer in place of his butt. Better stand back when he farts.
[Edited last by David Ki on July 16, 2001 at 01:12 PM]

JerryW

Supporting Actor
My vote is for the Kenwood 504. It's pretty outstanding considering it's price.
Well, I looked at the $10 duck, but it didn't quack in DTS, whereas my $100 Duck quacks in 6.1 DTS Discrete.
So there!
Yeah, but is it THX certified? My $250 duck is... and it has DPL2!
wink.gif

------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I got my information on the Kenwood HTB-204 and HTB-504 specs from Circuit City's site (I know, I know).
According to them, the HTB-504 has "600 watts of total power" and a powered subwoofer. The Kenwood site does say the system is only 100 watts x 5, but the powered subwoofer has a separate 100 watt amplifier, so that could be where CC gets the 600 total. Kenwood makes no mention of whether or not the HTB-204's subwoofer is powered, but CC's site says that it's passive.
If I may be so ignorant, how much difference will the HTB-504's amplifier make?
------------------
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Looks like the 204 doesn't have a powered sub.
The 504 is a newer model and offers Logic II, 6 channel inputs and the powered sub. Also has universal remote, banana plugs for speakers front and center speakers, front S-video input. It has L/R/C speakers with dual woofers and a tweeter. Probably get a little better sound.
The 204 just has full range speakers.
Since the guy has $700 to spend I'd recommend the 504 with the carousel Toshiba, Panasonic or Pioneer changer.
It sure is easy to spend other people's money.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, but is it THX certified? My $250 duck is... and it has DPL2
I'm outclassed. I bought the higher end HDiB (Home Duck in a Box) kit, with what I understood to be a quality duck. I see now that I should've gotten the ungradable duck (though, from the website, connecting the serial cable to the duck's "input port" could be tricky).
(you guys quack me up :) )
Making this somewhat relevent to the discussion -- I agree with the recent set of posts. For a starter system on a tight budget, a HTiB set is the simplest method, and pretty cost-effective. And for non-audiophile, the relatively low quality (compared to higher end equipment), will likely never be noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks