What's new

HT Amp for Bose 901 and 301 w/ active equalizer (1 Viewer)

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
I have to hunt something else up because all I have left are the HTIB speakers. I get rid if them... Will just have to go without presence and suround until i can hunt something else up more capable. Something along the lines of Bose 201are good for surround back? What percentage of power do they delivered compared to surround L & R? Thanks again for the help...I'm getting there!

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
The 667 manual says I can run a single surround back speaker (center). Curious how much quality I'm sacrificing by running just one surround back center vs. surround back L & R. The room layout lends itself better to a single surround back center. If I used surround back L & R they would have to go behind recliners in each back corner of the room. The area between the chairs is vacant and could be occupied by a single speaker. Besides that having to buy a single saves me money. Don't want to get this far just to cheap out, but want to be as frugal as possible while still maintaining integrity. Thank you!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your room works for 6.1, sure. The only true 7.1(which will be matrixed to 6.1) is on BD anyway. Everything else will use DTS NEO or DPL IIx.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
What about the front L & R presence speakers. What percentage of power do they get as compared to the front L & R? Same question for the center rear ad compared to surround L & R? This info will me select adequate speakers. I see small cube-style Bose speakers with "acoustimas" designation. Are these suitable? Small footprint is good since speakers are eating into room real estate and wife is starting to growl.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All things being "equal" in a soundtrack. The more speakers you add...the less power each get. But, no soundtrack, or music for that matter, is going to try to make all 5, 6, 7, 9 speakers "peak" at the same time. Basically, we'll throw a number out there...lets say the 667 has a "power reserve" of 500. It can produce 110 "maximum" on any one channel. 500/7=71.43. If all 7 speakers are trying to the same thing...all at once...they can only get 71...not 110. I'm also pretty sure with the 667 you can only do one or the other...not both...6/7(in your case 6) or Presence.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
The surround back(s) perform a function similar to that of front presence speakers -correct? They add ambiance via DSP to attempt to recreate a particular acoustic environment. These and the presence speakers would be mostly used for music, but they also work to heighten dialog in movies - correct? The Hafler amp I snagged off eBay provides ambiance outputs. Thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The surround back(s) perform a function similar to that of front presence speakers -correct? They add ambiance via DSP to attempt to recreate a particular acoustic environment.
The rear surround can perform as you stated; however, the difference is that on some recordings the rear surrounds have their own track - that is, not produced via DSP. If you are just playing movies, I'd guess that the rear surrounds would be used as much as the front presence speakers. If you are playing a lot of music using a sound mode, then the front presence are probably used more. I don't think you mentioned the layout of your room, if you don't have a reasonable amount of space behind your listening location, the rears don't do you any good; the side surrounds will be all you need in that case.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Hafler DH-120 amp and the Yamaha RX-V667 arrived today. Subwoofer got here yesterday. Lots of boxes, foam peanuts, plastic wrapping, manuals, accessories like FM antennas and YPAO mics, cords, cables, remotes and look-they-even-gave-me-name-brand-batteries and....and......and......

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Well, I got a tale of woe here. Turns out the 667 doesn't provide a "pre-out"...the 667 shares its manual with other models that do, and I missed the notation indicating that. So I just hooked the 901s to the 667's front R & L and used the DSP settings to get good sound. I'd like to hear a bit more "sizzle" from cymbals but I don't have a trained ear. Since I can't use the 901s the way they were intended I'm wondering if I should sell them and get other - smaller - speakers. The 901s take up a bit of real estate especially when they're 18" or so from the wall (where I find they sound best). I've only got $40 invested in them so this model mixup is an easy one for e to get over. Any guidance? Is there a smallish- bordering on tiny - speaker for front R & L worthy of the 667. A small speaker would bend itself to wall mounting and I could move the bookcase back in (it was relocated to accommodate the 901s). Only other issue is that my subwoofer works during the YPAO operation but not when listening to music. I'm not sure if there's a setting somewhere that affects this. I'm digging through the manual but haven't found it yet. Also the "options" where you can adjust treble and base levels don't seem to have much effect.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You must not have bought the 667. Cause plain as day, the pre-outs are right under the "Surround" and "Surround back/Bi-amp" binding posts.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What AVR did they send you? What did you order? The 667 HAS PRE-OUTS. If the AVR you got does not have pre-outs, then it isn't a 667.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
It amounts to the Wrong model in the right box. Got it refurbished and they claim the mixup happened there.

jerrydunn

Agent
Real Name
Jerry Dunn
Geeez I hadn't been this confused since puberty. Waiting to hear back as to the ship/ return status...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I got lucky in puberty. I understood girls from a young age. I'm the only male of 15 from 8 years older, to 7 years younger. With 10 of us within 4 years. When I was at IU, I had 5 relatives there at the same time... When you're the "jock type", yet wear pink...and understand why pedicures/manicures feel good...and know how to layer fingernail polish... Let's just say, there were times I had to carry a stick with me. My favorite pick up line of all was(worked very well in the spring)... "Your toes could use some kick ass polishing." Obviously that is a pick up line rarily ever heard...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks