What's new

HSU VTF-3 MK3 or SVS PB12-NSD? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Hey all,
I currently own an STF-2, I have had it for about 2 years and it got me hooked on clean accurate bass, that does more than just “boom”. And while I have been very happy with my STF-2 and it still impressed me to this day, it does show its limitations when I push it hard, and it does not reach low enough into those subsonic (20 and below) HZ for me and cannot really pressurize my room. Ever since HSU released the HO and other new models I have wanted one. And what a better time than now with the VTF-3 MK3 10% off! Plus I have a friend who will give me $200 for my STF-2, that means I could get the VTF-3 MK3 for just $530 shipped, and I don’t think I can beat that!

But will it satisfy my hunger? I want a sub that will laugh when I throw deep difficult passages at it and leave me grinning, rather than running to turn down the gain to stop the port chuff. And I want my sub to truly pressurize my room and make my pants flap, while staying clean and tight. Now I understand that this is not a superhuman sub, so it will have it limits, I just don’t want to be approaching them when I am listening at loud levels in my 19 x 11 room. Also the SVS PB12-NSD is priced similar, so I figured it would be worth asking about, they are both rated to do 18Hz on paper, but it seems that the HSU is a bit underrated.

So who has some good input on the VTF-3 MK3 in a room similar in size to mine, again the STF-2 does great in this room, I have the gain at just under half way and my friends think I am crazy for wanting to upgrade, but I am a bass freak and I think a good sub is the most important component to making a system sound impressive. I like that if I go with the HSU I can always add the turbo down the line if I want louder bottom end, and I am used to the signature sound of HSU sounds, so I am leaning towards the VTF-3 instead of the SVS, but what do you guys think?

- Smitty

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At least you admitted it now. You are already planning a second upgrade Hsu Turbo add on. Skip both and go big. Elemental Designs and Epik Subwoofers have a few designs with 15" and 18" drivers. Better yet, DIY if you have some power tools and basic wookworking skills. That's what I did and I'm still upgrading. A pair of 15's with a pro amp weren't enough so I'm going with quad 18's.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.