What's new

Hsu STF2 vs HSU VTF2 Any difference on low extension. (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Hs anyone compared both the stf2 to the vtf2. DO they both play the same on low extension. I can buy the hsu stf2 for 348 at comp usa but I hope it plays the same than the vtf2 in low extension. DOes it have the same wofer quality and all. Will my hsu stf2 make a great match for my paradighm mini monitors. I want a sub that will kick but and I was going to get the paradigm pdr 12 but I have a feelign that the hsu is better

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Exactly the same for low extension, the VTF will just allow a little higher SPL when tuned to max output. The driver is the same. I'd get the Hsu over the Paradigm.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
The better question is what is the best sub for my budget, tastes and room, then you can decide who makes the better sub for you.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
well i want clear tight base that is musical and at the same time can go really deep and sound crisp. I have a 15x12 room and i have paradigm mini monitor speakers with a denon receiver

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well either brand has subs that can do that, what's the budget? Do you have size limitations? Prefer a box or cylinder? Powered or unpowered?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Low extension wise and accuracy, I'm sure it is, compared to SVS' cheapest model(a $549 25-31PCi cylinder). I would think the SVS will put out more SPL based on it's larger enclosure and driver and bigger amp.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I read a pro review that the Hsu was cleaner at the very bottom (~20hz) than one of the big tube SVS.

Cleaner is better for music/HT. Although you won't regularly encounter many signals that low. LOL!

In terms of slam, the review said both were similar.

The reviewer gave the advantage to HSU at the end.

.........In terms of powerful, cheap, musical subs, DEFINITELY go with Adire. They have a long standing rep as great subs at a great price.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has the VTF2 (might be the VTF3) I can't remember off the top of my head. But we compared that to the SVS PCi 20-39.

First off, there was nothing accurate done, both were set up in the same place in his room, calibrated, and that was it.

The HSU, which he was accustomed to (as was I - for the amount I was over watching movies and TV) was the second one we demoed (did the SVS first).

My friend and I after both were done using various music that we both liked, and a couple of movie scenes (Darla for example) to decide what we both liked and disliked about each sub.

For music, we both felt that the HSU did a little bit more for the listening. Whether it was more tight or accurate, I'm not sure exactly how to place it, but we both thought it sounded better. Now mind you this isn't night and day difference...more if we always had two subs hooked up, we'd use the HSU more for music listening. The HSU just seemed more in tune with the music is how I would put it.

For the movie viewing, both were reviewed in the same way as with the music. For our movie viewing experience again we both agreed that we liked the SVS better. For us, it just seemed to blend better and seemed to "move you" better with the LFE. We just liked the way it performed overall better. The SVS just seemed to reach deeper down into the movie soundtrack and "move" us a little bit more.

My friend has since sold his HSU and gotten an SVS PCi 20-39 for his room and is really enjoying it. I can be honest that he would have never bought the SVS without hearing it first, he was completely happy with his HSU. The reason he did the switch is because of two things... First, he knew someone looking for a musical subwoofer and occational movie viewing, which we thought fit the HSU perfectly. Secondly, my friend is more a movie viewing person (like 80/20 split, might be 90/10) which we both agreed we thought the SVS suited him more. So for him he got lucky that he could sell his old one and upgrade to a new one at just the right time. Otherwise I don't think he would've gotten rid of the HSU.

For me, the decision was pretty clear, I liked the way the SVS performed in general. I ordered the PC+ 20-39 from SVS and can't wait to get it.

Now this is just an example of how my friend(s) - as there were more than just my friend and I demoing - saw two products, how you might like them is "to each his/her own".

Both are great products for the price. The best way you can decide on which is the right one for you is to get both and return one. That's the only fair way to know.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
They had a jbl ef250 i believe it was front firing and it was a 12 inch and it blew the hsu stf2 away. My brother in law has a hsu vtf2 and it kicks butt. Now I have doubts i just may order the vtf2. I think it sounds way better but thats just me. The hsu stf2 was rattling and it was vibratign way to much. It looked like the cabinet was cheap. Is the hsu vtf2 still 450 can i talk to hsu customoer support and see if they can go down in price. How many days does it take to ship

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I'm sure you got a great audition with a properly calibrated ST-2 at Compusa...NOT. That said, the VTF-2 is tried and true and if you can go the extra $100 would be my choice.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
yeah but the JBL E250P that they had there with the same set up blew it out of the water with its front firing 12 inch driver. It almost made me by the jbl since it sounded awesome for 450. Has anyone heard this and how long does it take to ship the hsu

Joel()Les

Agent
How big a room were you in? I wonder if in a huge space, a front firing pointed right at you might seem better than a downward firing woofer (its sound will be dispersed and not reflected back due to the room size).

I've heard (but not seen) that HSU's are a bit on the ugly side.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
From your description of what you heard at CompUSA, I bet they had a defective STF-2 and did not care or know enough to put another one on display.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
yeah but i just went to the hsu website and bought my self a vtf2 since i know for a fact that these have received great revies and my brother in law has one and i was left in awe when i heard the hsu in his house

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks