What's new

Hsu Research STF-2 Subwoofer Test & Review (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Edward,

I would also like to read a UFW-10 review by you. If price is an issue, the cost of the UFW-10 is certainly inline with the STF-3 and PB1-ISD.

You could also do it as a solo review like the PB2-Plus and Ultra, and STF-2.

I could swear that among the thousands of posts, that Craig was going to send you one of the four he has for review.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
To give you an idea what I think of Ed's reviews... After the UFW-10 review was done, Mark Schifter asked if I wanted to do the UFW-12... I suggested Ed Instead. He is THAT good.

The idea of his methodology in testing applied to a killer sealed sub seemed too good to pass up. Plus...This subwoofer is intended to compete the SVS market, which is Ed's favorite subwoofer company (deservedly so), thus the competition factor is there...

How will the UFW-12 fare ? ... Should be good stuff !

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
But with the popularity of the UFW-10, don't you think it warrants a listen by Edward, and some reading by his fans?

Nothing wrong with having both UFW-10 and UFW-12 reviews. More good reading.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
But the UFW-10 is available now. You've got four(or is it five if you include the rosewood version you had for review?)...send one to the guy. :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
JohnnyCasaba:

I didn't mean to insinuate I wouldn't ever review the UFW-10 - sorry about that. Sure, I'd love to hear one some day.

I assumed (erroneously in retrospect) that since this is the STF-2 review thread, perhaps you were thinking the UFW-10 might be a direct competitor and/or a like-priced alternative to the STF-2.

Curtis:

Nice to see you jump in to this thread; I was hoping it would be sooner. Craig is right....lots on my plate right now; plenty of fall/winter prep projects keeping me busy around the house. And the PB10-ISD review will be done before 10/15/04, come hell or high water. Because that date marks the archery opener in upstate NY, and I tend to disappear for weeks at a time. ;)

Craig:

You're a good man; thanks for the props and if you want to swing by with a UFW-10 the next time you are in town, I'll be here with that bottle of single malt we discussed. We'll put away the test gear, start a fire, break out your cigars, toast to good times, and just listen.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Yep... I just sent Ed a PM... at SOME point my guys will let me have some rest... Getting together with Ed for a couple of cocktails sounds great... In fact... here is an interesting thought...

I could do the listening tests on the Maestro... and Ed could handle measurements... and see if I really AM tone-deaf... :)

That also seems like a good reason to have a good visit together.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Hey Edward,

You are getting a PB10-ISD before everyone else?

Sorry I didn't jump in earlier...there were other threads I was posting in. :D With good subwoofers, the outcome is pretty predictable. Besides, I have experienced the STF-2 firsthand in my home.

Another reason I was hoping for a UFW-10 review is because it gives another perspective rather than the Hsu/SVS comparisons. With the announcment of the PB10-ISD, and your STF-2 review that followed soon after, and now your pending review of the PB10-ISD before it is released, you will undoubtedly compare. Would be nice for you to get a Rava or UFW-10 as well. Just hate to have the stage always set for Hsu vs SVS when there are other worthy subs out there.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Curtis,

SVS picked Ed, and several other folks to beta test a PB10-ISD. He's not alone (others have been notified by singing telegram), but we only have a very few full production spec units to spread around at the moment. When we contacted Ed, he already warned us about his archery deadline, and that he had his hands full doing a review (gasp) of another brand.

He'll only get it for a week or so and it'll be off to someone else. I'll have one with me at the HTF Hollywood week 18-24 SEP (screwing it together tomorrow as a matter of fact since the parts just arrived. One photo shoot still to knock off though).

As the next few weeks unfold we'll spread a few more around and then production will be upon us in late OCT.

If we'd been lucky we'd have gotten our entry level sub to Ed before a certain other brand did, but them's the breaks.

We're not shy about climbing in the ring with anyone else though. The the more the merrier we say.

Ron

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Ron.....ofcourse you picked Ed...no issues there...a smart way to get the ball rolling. I was just hoping Ed would indulge in other sub companies rather than SVS and a certain other company.

You may not be shy about jumping in the ring with other companies, but it hasn't happenned, and the UFW-10, I think, would be great to have Edward's perspective...measurements and all. It gets as much play in other forums as SVS or Hsu.

Anyways, I am looking forward to finally meeting you on the evening of the 24th, the only time I can attend. Looks like there will be a lot of interesting equipment. Need help loading the van? :D

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Ed,

Yeah, I only posed the question here because I had your ear so to speak. Looking forward to the PB10-ISD review, if I was in the market for a sub, I would be looking HARD at this one. Price is very tempting and I just may order one to find out what it is all about, but having 3 cats around, that front firing driver has me worried.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Now there's a thought....bring up a UFW-10 and the Maestro - David and Goliath Redux - battle of the sealed subs. :)

BrianAe

Second Unit
I know Craig reviewed the Aperion 12" sub a while back but I have to say that I think the 10" is even better than the 12" "for its weight". Ed/Craig, if your doing a round of 10" tests you might want to include the Aperion. It is 500 bucks but that includes shipping and a nice wood finish.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Ditto for the Rava. :) Really, it was more a matter that I had already approached Dan and set the wheels in motion on a Rava review before anyone had even mentioned a UFW-10.

The same applies to the UFW-12; Craig and I talked privately with MLS months ago about a UFW-12 review (actually it was about the same time Craig was doing his UFW-10 review). It's just that the gestation period on the UFW-12 has been pretty long.

I really do feel Craig did the UFW-10 review justice and also raved about its SQ, and that was one more reason not to reinvent the wheel and instead focus on the UFW-12 as the next logical step in the review process.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Thanks Edward.

Are you saying you and Craig will not seperately review the same subs?

It is always so much nicer to get more than one perspective when it comes to speakers/subs.

BTW, there is also a new Rocket ELT Sub that is $400.

Thomas_Riel

Agent

I bought one of the CompUSA STF-2's back if February. I am extremely pleased with its performance especially with music. Now I am curious if the unit is fully up to specifications. Ed, did you notice any difference between the two subs? Is there a way to find out?

Thanks............ Tom

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Curtis - We both DID do the PB2+, and Edward handled the STF-3 while I took on the VTF-3.2 ...

Ed and I have the identical measuring gear available, which means we can do more separately... yet still post consistent results.

For example, AV123 asked me to look at their new SW-10 SE subwoofer. Ed is going to test the PB10-ISD ... and already did the STF-2 ...

I will e-mail to Ed the measured results of the SW-10 SE for him to place with his results of the PB10-ISD ...

These reviews are REALLY time consuming. Ed has the PB-10 then the UFW-12 coming up....

I have the Maestro and the SW-10 SE to do... and a small write up on the $399 Tyke system ...some thoughts on the 250's/100 Mark II then I am DONE...

I will be in Canada too much to do more reviews after these are done... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks