What's new

Hsu Research STF-2 Subwoofer Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
THREAD HIJACK.... I was just looking at subwoofers for sale on Audiogon... and there is a PB2+ for sale there... It has links to reviews..

INCLUDING EDWARD'S FROM LAST YEAR

Ed - You are a star.. woo hoo !

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You might find other currently available subs for $400 that might exceed the STF-2 in one category, but will fall short in the others. For example, the much larger Velo CHT-15 (which can be had for about $400 on-line) can probably play louder at 30 Hz than the STF-2, but lacks the deep extension and flatter FR of the Hsu.
__________________________________________________ _____

Speaking of the CHT-15 Ed. Do you have any thoughts in regards to why Velodyne would decide to approach the market with the CHT-15 in the manner that they have? Being the past owner of a couple of ct-150's, I have often wondered. Why the lack of extension? The enclosure size is there, so wouldn't it be rather easily accomplished without sacrificing to much it's higher region capability? Maybe boiled down it all comes to $$production costs and appealing to the masses with it's 29-30 Hz and up performance? Not to mention adding attraction to their higher-end offerings?

Craig did you see the B4+ with K-2 on Audiogon also?

Very funny Robb. Your the perfect example of knowing just what to say and when to say it.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Steve - Yes, I saw that B4+ ... Someone should grab that... a STEAL for $2800. And yes, Robb has a way of being funny without meanness sneaking in....:emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I think you answered your own questions, Steve. I'm sure the woofer/alignment is optimized for 30 Hz and above performance - cheaper to make and appeals to the brick/mortar crowd by pounding away in the more common bass regions.

It did crush all other test subs at 25 Hz in Nousaine's recent test, but 92 dB @ 25 Hz @ 10% THD @ 2M in a 7500 ft3 room is not all that impressive compared to say a 25-31PCi.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=5

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
It did crush all other test subs at 25 Hz in Nousaine's recent test, but 92 dB @ 25 Hz @ 10% THD @ 2M in a 7500 ft3 room is not all that impressive compared to say a 25-31PCi.

Yes most definitely. It's quite amazing what can be had from (your choice) on-line venders today. I remember doing a few little comparisons myself with the dual ct-150's and one 25-31CS+. Nothing like what you do, but enough to come up with a good grasp of the differences in their capabilities.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Yes, I saw that B4+ ... Someone should grab that... a STEAL for $2800."

Maybe I should get it for center channel chores!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
There goes Frank... Declaring once again he is single...

One thing is for certain guys. Any wife of Franks would not complain about vacuuming;) She would have more than your average amount of sheetrock dust, dusting to do though.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ok... Steve, WHAT makes you think it is the wife's job to vacuum and dust. We are in the year 2004 for Pete's sake...

oh... hang on a second... She wants my attention..

Forget it, My wife just pointed out I have not done either since 1988... :rolleyes

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Forget it, My wife just pointed out I have not done either since 1988...

I got to say it Craig! What have you done since 1988:laugh:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hmmmmmmm.... You asked... :)

A. The Smart Stuff

1. Got engaged (1988)
2. Started Financial Services Company (1989)
3. Got married (1989)
4. Had a Son (1991)
5. Bought a dealership (1992)
6. Had a daughter (1993)
7. Bought second dealership (1995)
8. Had a son (1996)
9. Bought another financial services company (1998)
10. Started a chemical products company (2001)
11. Bought third dealership (2003)

B. The dumb stuff

1. Took up golf (2001)
2. Started reviewing speakers (2004)

JackRI

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Richard
Will everyone please note the discrepancy in the number of items in each list. I wonder if his wife's list of the things he's done since 1988 would look the same. :wink:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well! So now you had to go get serious on me now:frowning:

Definitely quite a accomplishment though and well done :emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I got ya Craig:emoji_thumbsup:

Whats going to happen when Ed comes back from his long weekend and finds out what a turn his Thread has taken:eek: It's surly not my fault!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks