What's new

How's the Panasonic CT-36HX42? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'm thinking of getting this set...if anyone has one...could you please tell me how it performs...it looks mighty good...

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...CC had a deal today for $500 off...making it $1,300 and I couldnt pass that up...cant wait to get it!

Josh....I think CC's deal was for the CT36HX41, not the 42. But I'm also interested in this TV (the 41). I've heard that the 42 doesn't do the 16:9 squeeze on DVD material. Some say that the 41 model does do the squeeze, while others say it doesn't. Anybody care to provide facts?

Frank

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic does not have a 16:9 mode, so that rules out watching 16:9-encoded DVDs in full 480p glory. You could, however, let the Panny convert the 480p to 1081i and watch it in the proper 16:9 mode that way.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Im pretty sure that it did have 16:9 mode...I was just there yesterday...I'll certainly know tomorrow when they deliver it...

Jack....I heard that the ID-1 Detection feature on the 36hx41 is a 16:9 squeeze. Of course, I can't confirm this. And I heard this feature was not on the 36hx42 model. I just want to know if this set (the 41) does 16:9 squeeze like the 36" Sony's and Toshiba's do. I gotta have the squeeze!! :D

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks for confirmin it...I was pretty sure it did...cause I remember the remote even had a button for it on the remote I think...

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
They just delivered the set...and I'm not sure its the correct set...it seems like the 42 and not the 41...the box says 41 though...for one thing it does not have 3:2 Pulldown at all...I've gone through all the menus and its no where to be found...also it has a big yellow blotch on the top right part of the screen...argh! Looks like I'm taking this one back...

They delivered it and it was setting on its face...it was setting on the screen...I take it thats not a good thing...I'm about ready to just give up and go back to my 30' Analog Toshiba...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Was the set sitting on its screen while in the box or out of it? And I think the set has 2:3 pulldown.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
It was sitting on the screen in the box...for I dont know how long...and yes...it is supposed to have 3:2 Pulldown...and everything looks like complete s***! Jagged edges...anytime anything moves it looks blurry...and cable looks horrible...argh! I'm sending it back I think and getting a 30' Samsung 16:9 HDTV...I watched LOTR on it...and it looks amazing...

Oh yes...does anyone know how to get the Service Menu off the screen...the numbers and such at the top...

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
What Toshiba? I'd love a Toshiba...but they seem a bit pricey...I've had a Toshiba 30' for 7 years...great TV...

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ok...I was just fiddling around with the TV in the menus...and all of a sudden...BAM! It turns off...will not turn back on...screw this set...I'm havin it picked up and gettin that Samsung 30' 16:9...

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a CT-36HX41 for over a year now. It does do the squeeze on anamorphic DVDs. For a 480i signal, it is automatic only, for 480p it can be set automatically or manually. However, I've read that the CT-36HX42 no longer does this squeeze.

There is no menu option that I've seen for 3:2 pulldown, so I assume that it is always on.

For the issue with the splotch in the corner, look for a geomagnetic correction option in the user menu. I don't recall specifically where that is, but tweaking that up or down may make that splotch go away.

To get out of the service menu, hold Action and Power on the TV until the TV turns off.

Lastly, with regards to picture quality, I've been quite pleased with the Panasonic. However, I found that I needed to tweak the user settings such as contrast, brightness and sharpness using Avia to get the picture at its best.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'm glad you enjoy yours...I figured out how to get the splotch off...but mine just died...and I dont want another...

Josh....I was talking about the Toshiba 36 incher (36hf72 or 36hfx72). I was trying to decide between the Panny 36hx41 and the Toshiba 36hf72. Of course the Toshiba is about $500 more (currently $1700 at BB this week).

Andy, what kind of signal are you running through your CT36hx41 (analog cable, digital cable, satellite)? I'm curious to see how this set handles analog cable. I hear the Toshiba does a great job with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks