1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

How's the hype vs. reality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Sep 6, 2001.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I thought it would be fun to compare the press release hype of recent consoles with what actually is. Unfortunately, I've only been to find a good press release for the PS2; I couldn't dig up any for the Dreamcast or N64, and haven't looked for X-Box or GC.
    So, if you can find any, post a link and a snippet here, and we can laugh [​IMG] at the claims of how our favorite console was to alter the very fabric of our game-laying universe.
    PS2

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

Actually, a lot of the stuff above was true. They found a way to do DTS, the emotion chips are in the console, and the press release was probably written when it was more powerful than most current PCs. Keep in mind that a PC as powerful as the PS2 for $300 is nonexistant.

3. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Well-Known Member

I am glad that it lived up to the hype for you Morgan [​IMG]

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

There are also reasons why the PS2 is better than a PC, so I think we can agree that both things are separate and it is like comparing apples to oranges.
    From what I read, it lived up to the expectations of that article.

6. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

The hype regarding the "emotion engine" is pure marketing drivel, though. Unless you want to argue that every subsequent processor that is more powerful is also more emotional. [​IMG]
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List

7. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

8. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III
    We can have a discussion about the reality of PS2 but Gamecube and X-Box are all hype for now. People seem to be getting all emotional in choosing one over the other and its all based on hype.

9. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

I am one of those freaks who waited overnight in line for the PS2. Did it live up to the hype? Hell no! I don't care if it has the EE, great floating-point specs, yakkity yakkity yakkity... It's simply not that much fun to play.
    The system was definitely not worth waiting 14 hours for in the late October cold. I only bought 4 games for it and currently only have 3 (TTT, XG3, & GT3). I played my N64 MUCH more when I got it.
    But that's just me. I'm sure there are a few people out there that love their PS2. It plays DVDs remember!