1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Howard the Duck?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Strilka, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka Stunt Coordinator

Any chance we will ever see this?

2. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    I'd love to have this. I collect awful sci-fi movies such as PLAN 9 and MISSILE TO THE MOON, and this would fit snuggly into that group. I have a feeling Lucas is a tad embarrassed by it and might keep it from DVD release.

3. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

There was a story going around that Robin Williams or someone like that jokingly asked Lucas if he was thinking about re-releasing Star Wars and Lucas admitted to having thought about replacing the actor-in-a-suit with a CGI character. It sounded like he was deadly serious.

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

The actor in the suit had nothing to do with how bad that movie was. In a way, its badness is what makes it so appealing to so many people. I would gladly buy a DVD of Howard the Duck if it were ever released...in its theatrical cut...no CGI Howards needed.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Screenwriter

I'd buy a HTD dvd.

6. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I don't think Lucas was truly serious about re-releasing HTD with a CGI character because at the end he said something similiar to "you loathed it the first time, you'll hate it again" or something like that. And yes, it's been since about 1988 since I've seen this, but I would at least rent.

7. Craig Forsythe

I'd buy it the day it's released.

And I wouldn't change a thing about that movie, it's perfectly bad exactly the way it was and thats what makes it perfect.

8. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

I would like it in hddvd sp/ed:b

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Just as long as it doesn't come in an R2 edition. We need to make Steve Christou sweat.....

10. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit

Lea Thompson was smokin' in this film![​IMG]

11. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Lucas has said "I've never made a movie I didn't like", so I don't think he's embarassed.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Some would say Steve Christou sweats enough with or without the Duck on DVD.

I wouldn't say that, mind you. But some would.

[​IMG]

Click here for more on Howard.

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter

I saw HTD the day it was released. At the time, I enjoyed it for what it was. Of course I was also quite young. I saw that it was on television a while back and decided to sit and watch some of it. I couldn't get past the first fifteen minutes. The stuff with Howard in his own universe was clever and pretty well done, but as soon as he arrives on Earth the whole thing loses what little spark of imagination it might have posessed. I was kind of let down. Another film that I quite liked as a child laid bare under the bright light of adulthood.

14. Tom Young

Tom Young Agent

I too saw this as a young kid and enjoyed it. I saw a VHS copy a few years back and stil enjoyed it's "uniqueness." I would purchase on release day and would hope it would stay as the original theater version.

15. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

I saw it as a teenager and thought it okay. I enjoyed Howard's character and the fish-out-of-water story. What bugged me was how that human actor was taken over (I've never liked that actor since), and the monsters from another dimension (or whatever) plot.

As silly as it sounds, I could accept a 4-ft tall, intelligent duck trying to fit in on Earth. When they threw in all the other shlocky sci-fi crap, they lost me.

16. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Yeah! Howard The Duck! While we're at it, let's get The Legend of Rollerblade Seven on dvd as well!