What's new

Howard The Duck On DVD?? Please (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Lamen's terms for "thread crap". lol Many people consider this movie a cult classic, a guilty pleasure, or simply nostalgia. I was 8 or 9 when this movie was released in theaters, so it's definitely a trip down memory lane for me. Also to me, this falls under the "It's so bad, it's good" category. I'll gladly purchase this on Tuesday and set it on my shelf for everyone to see without an ounce of regret! As far as I'm concerned, this release has been long overdue. Can't wait!

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

Ummm, some people just want entertainment, and MANY bad movies are quite entertaining to watch. Howard has a lot of cheesy moments, but it can be quite entertaining if you are in the right mood, or have some friends around.

Plus, it's the first movie in which digital wire removal has been used. ;)

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

:laugh: Digitally restored by Lowry Digital from Quentin Tarantino's 35mm print.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Oh, I'd venture to say I've seen more films than most. And I don't count Howard The Duck as a guilty pleasure or even moderately entertaining, whereas I do find Plan Nine entertaining on several levels (Dudley Manlove's performance alone). Manos, Hand Of Fate is an obvious stinker, but I don't see any reason to flog these one-off low-budge horrors. Howard the Duck was made by people who should have known better, and therefore that makes it worse, in my book. The other filmmakers and films people seem to be referencing to put me in my place are made by people who didn't know better and had no moviemaking skills at all. I think the differences are obvious. But hey, if people enjoy Howard The Duck, great. As the imdb constantly proves, there are people who like EVERY bad movie and find it a "neglected gem."

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

I think nobody here refers to Howard as being a "gem". But it is one of those "bad" movies which can be quite funny, especially with friends. But this of course, is due to the fact that no one here has a sense of humour as sophisticated as yours. ;)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Even though I like the movie, I hope Marvel will try again someday and be more faithful to the original comic book.

I'm a little bummed there isn't a Blu-Ray coming out. ;)

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

I am not citing this film as THE worst ever made, just one of THE worst ever made. And, as I said earlier, I don't base my opinion on anything but what's on the screen - not because it was Lucas or anyone else. What's on the screen is, in my OPINION, bad - really, really bad in just about every way, except for Thompson and Jones. It's just one repetitious scene after another and then it's over. While you can argue with my OPINION you're not going to change it. And there are many more who feel as I do, and again, it has nothing to do with George Lucas or anything else other than for some people this film stinks. I think you understood all that from my original post, so I'm not sure why you're trying to make this be about other things.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But what's the point of posting in a thread where people are interested in seeing a DVD release of a film heretofore not seen on disc only to say what a bad film it is?

It generally amounts to bad form. Most people here are either fans or curiosity-seekers.

Would you expect to post negative remarks in a thread of this sort and NOT evoke responses of the kind you've been getting? :confused:

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Is this not a discussion board? For discussion? Are we not allowed to state opinions? Everyone has to like the same things? If I started a thread on a film I like and someone came in and said it was crap, that would, in most places, stimulate discussion, and interesting discussion. I guess that's not of interest to people who like Howard The Duck because they saw it when they were eight or nineteen. I find it weird. I'll leave this thread to those who only want to say nice, reassuring things.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
There's a separate "movies" section. I thought this is presumably for people who actually wanted the movie to come out and buy it. And then discuss the merits of the dvd itself as a product.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

If that's the way how it works for you, then why do you post here at all? Just don't buy it and move along.

If you are not interested in discussion, do you think that stating your OPINION in this thread will prevent anyone here from buying this DVD? Like "Gee, Billy Feldman doesn't like Howard the Duck, so maybe I shouldn't buy it...". Or are you just in constant need to reassure yourself that you have the superior OPINION or taste?

In any case, this is getting pointless and tiresome. I already have Howard the Duck on DVD, but I'm glad that Universal is finally releasing it in the US. So that a whole new generation of young American people can ask themselves: why do ducks have boobs? ;)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

One thing about HTF, no matter what the film, you will find someone here who thinks it is the greatest film ever made. Debating quality of the film is kind of pointless.

But the other thing about HTF is that reviews seem to focus on the quality of the DVD, rather than the film. That is the most important thing. And that is what the discussion tends to be about.

The only time I feel the need to mention quality is when the review of the film is so positive that the comments are all "Gee, sounds great! I'll blind buy it". It is only then that I feel the need to mention not everyone loves the film as much as the original reviewer.

And for the record, the HOWARD THE DUCK DVD is a fun one.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Which then gets back to the whole fact that if you think this is one of the worst flicks made, then you clearly dont see a lot of 'em. Howard is not even in the top 100 - there is a shitton of way worse movies out there, some of them cult grindhouse crap, but there are some that are way more big budget and more mainstream.

You are only picking on the movie because people like to drag down George and everything he's done. If this was from Canon Films or an AIP flick, you'd never pay it a second glance.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Further evidence of the decline of Western civilization: this title is on DVD shelves today in the U.S., but The African Queen is still unreleased on DVD!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This thread was started nearly three years ago by someone who was advocating the release of Howard the Duck on DVD. 2 1/2 years later came the news that--against most expectations--that realization would be met. Today is the release date.

As others have already noted: If you want to begin a "stimulating and interesting discussion" on the merits of the film as art, you could start your own thread on that very topic. That's how it's done. Or, even more efficiently, you could do a simple search and find that Steve Christou was interested in having that same debate back in January 2003.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...rely-fowl.html

It's just a matter of finding the right time, place and audience.

Sorry if you were in some way offended. But as I explained earlier, what other type of reaction would you expect when posting that kind of sentiment in a thread where people are anticipating a film long-absent from DVD shelves?

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

In your OPINION it shouldn't be in the top 100. In my OPINION, it's there with honors
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Then you state that I'm only picking on the movie because people like to drag down George (Lucas) and everything he's done. Really? That's why I'm stating my opinion? You know this how? I don't ever drag down Mr. Lucas - never have, never will, since he's made several films I'm quite fond of. And I don't consider that he "made" Howard The Duck. I think Radioland Murders is a terrible film, too, but I also don't consider that he "made" that either. Different strokes, I'm afraid. But please don't put words in my mouth.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
van helsing better be on the top 100 worse movies of all times.. that was truely a peice of shit.

I liked howard the duck.. when I was a kid. I have the region 4 edition of it. looks fine to me.. its even enhanced for widescreen unlike some star wars movie that are not.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks