What's new

Howard The Duck On DVD?? Please (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's my opinion that Lucas has decided to bypass a R1 standard definition DVD release of this title.

I personally don't believe that he thinks that the 480p DVD format provides the resolution required to properly render Howard's delicate feather structure.

While I'm sure that he would not have a problem with a 1080p format in this regard, he's on record as having stated that he will not allow his titles to decide a format war. We'll therefore probably have to wait until a clear winner is evident between the competing HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats.

As soon as that winner gains the appropriate market penetration - and barring any additional technological advances in packaged media in the interim - we should see an official release of this title.

I'm thinking 2025 ought to just about do it.

Of course, this could all change with a shift in the Cosmic Axis ...

(BTW, which universe is this, anyway?)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Come on George. I've read that the last release of Star Wars didn't sell so hot, so maybe Howard can pick up the slack ;) Ok, I'm joking, and I don't expect it to set new records for dvd sales, but I'd like to see this released. We've all seen much, much worse come to dvd.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I have a capture of a HD airing of Howard The Duck in 1.85.1 aspect ratio It looks fantastic !! The only odd thing is that the condom scene is missing.....

This will tide me over till the official release appears. If ever....

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Now Lucas has gone too far!!! Now we say Star Wars is not important but tinkering with Howard? OUTRAGEOUS! :D

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Lucas' other lesser known tax write-off "Radioland Murders" has been released on DVD twice already! I demand the duck! ;)

karcreat

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Ok, Im not sure of how legit this is, but in my continuing quest to locate a decent copy of this, my favorite bad film of all time on DVD, I came across two interesting items...

First off, this company online is selling HTD on DVD, but they dont specify if its the recent torrent based letterbox version that has been seen online or if its (shudder) 'Pan and Scan', which I refuse to purchase...

Unfortunately, as this is my first post here, there seems to be a silly rule stating that I cannot post a link to an external site 'until Ive made at least 10 posts'...sorry...;(
But I CAN tell you that the company is called 'Most Wanted Entertainment'...and if you have problems locating it online, just email me and I will be more than happy to send you the link.
Heres what I hopefully am able to post as their web addy...(just add the 'http' in front of it)...

shop.vendio.com/mostwanteddvd/item/906938295/?s=1175248802

...And then there is the actual torrent letterbox version mentioned above, which I recently obtained thru a pal...its FABULOUS in pic clarity and sound, but does contain two minor edits (its the UK version of the film) consisting of the embarassing 'duckie condom' bit (which I always hated anyway!) and the short, 2 second scene where Jennings' 'tongue' emerges from his mouth in the truck with Lea Thompson...other than THAT, its nothing but fantastic, regarding the pic/sound!

Anyone else here that is a fan of this oddball flick should check out my HTD tribute site (the largest online, listed with the IMDB and recommended by several castmembers from the film itself!..;) which includes clips, deleted scenes, interviews and even a 'trailer' for the 'sequel' I made myself.

Again, I cant post the link here (grrrr), but if you Google 'Howard The Duck- Misunderstood Mallard' you can find it, NP!

(heres the addy, minus the http and www part...
/geocities.com/cecinid/HowardIntro.html

"No duck is an island...and if fate sent me here to save earth, then Howard the duck is READY TO FIGHT!"

(Lord, how I adore cheese...;)

K

karcreat

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hey Again!
I might also add that ebay seems to occassionaly feature someone selling the DVDs as well...;)

K

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the encore channel is going to play howard the duck this weekend. I beleive that its this saturday.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
true. but still a chance to watch it.

I have not seen it in a long time.

Jacob

karcreat

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin

Actually, it DID do very well overseas...it just didnt set well with us Americans...;)

K

karcreat

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin

Believe it or not...yes, I did!
I heard back from them (as I would LOVE to have a commentary track done by the MST3K gang for this flick) but they stated that 'it will not happen, due to the legalities in obtaining rights to do the film'...that, and the fact that it 'was a comedy' and they try NOT to do 'already funny films'...;)

K

karcreat

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin

Hmmm...well, a GREAT DT transfer (in letterbox) can be obtained, along with a DVD of bonus extras, on my HTD site...;)

K

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
WoW ! Still nothing for us in the states ! If only Universal knew or cared that dvds of HTD are selling on ebay for 25-100 a pop , maybe they'd do something.

And Yes I own a DVD of the HDTV broadcast - That I recorded on my DVR

By the way I am not the one selling them, Anytime I find an original VHS of HTD at a yard sale or flea market I resell it on ebay to send to a nice home for enjoyment, But these a-holes selling pirated dvds of the HD rip are killing my profits !

Is'nt it Ironic....don'cha think

Too bad Universal doesnt seem to care

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
a friend of mine got me the region 4 version of howard the duck.. its widescreen and enhanced.. its also the uncut version.. it includes a trailer with it.

Jacob

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From Universal...

Howard the Duck: Special Edition
March 10, 2009
14.98 SRP

1 hour 51 minutes
Anamorphic Widescreen
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English, French, Spanish Subtitles

Bonus Materials:
. A Look Back at Howard the Duck
. Releasing the Duck
. News Featurette
. The Stunts of Howard the Duck
. The Special Effects of Howard the Duck
. The Music of Howard the Duck
. Teaser Trailers

Howard the Duck, the outrageous film about a highly-evolved offbeat duck from outer space, finally lands on DVD in an all-new Special Edition! Based on the popular Marvel Comics character and executive produced by George Lucas (Star Wars), the visual effects-filled comedy follows the exploits of a wise-cracking, cigar-chomping duck as he tries to return to his home planet. Featuring brand-new bonus features, a digitally remastered picture and new 5.1 surround sound, Howard the Duck Special Edition is a hidden treasure the whole family can enjoy.

Courtesy of our good friend Dave Lambert at TVShowsonDVD.com. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks