What's new

Howard The Duck - cult classic or merely fowl? (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Adam and Patrick, I do agree the movie get start to go downhill after the Dark Overlord was introduced. I did meet Lea Thompson once back in 1997 when she came to one of her Mom's art shows in Montana. My friends were telling me not to ask Lea anything about Howard The Duck, but I wish I did. I would love to see Howard The Duck on DVD.

As for Lifeforce, I love that movie. I like the extended international cut better (it is the only version cureently on DVD and VHS) and not the cut US theatrical cut. To me, Lifeforce is like a Hammer Horror movie.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I have seen the film twice. Once, in 1991 when I was 13 years old. It was on TV in the school holidays, and I was watching it, and every ad break they would have breaking news about a guy on some farm somewhere that was shooting his family, and the whole thing turned into a police standoff.

The second time I saw it was in 1997. I was watching it to see if it was as bad as I remembered (it was worse) when they started to have breaking news about rumours that the Princess of Wales had been involved in a car crash in Paris.

I am never watching the film ever again. I cannot allow anyone else to die just so I can have the (extremely) dubious pleasure of watching Howard the Duck.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Still no sign of Howard T.Duck on DVD? Was it that awful? Come on... we have... antique pre-cgi effects, little guy dressed in duck costume, non-stop duck jokes, sexy young Lea Thompson, sexy young Lea Thompson in her undies, sexy young Lea Thompson in her undies in bed with Howard the Duck, the great Tim Robbins in a film he'd rather forget and probably has, a fine John Barry score, produced by the guy who created Star Wars, based on a comic book character (and comic book heroes are all the rage now woohoo), what's not to like? :)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Leonard Part 6, Masters Of The Universe, Howard The Duck are all childhood classics that I hold higher than say a Donnie Darko(crap)!!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Steve, I like Howard the Duck better than anything that P B & J schlock camping trip trilogy has produced. Less vile inducing. I'll buy it, just to spite Peter Hackson Jackson. Like that makes any sense. Like I care, I can sit and make googoo eyes at the duck and say "Oh Howard, I'm soooo glad you came with me, YOU STOLE MY BREAD YOU F@CKIN' DUCK!" I will be considered a genius. OH SHIT! where the hell did that eagle thing just come from?!

What a trip...

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still waiting for Lucas to refund me my money from when I saw it in theaters.

Lea was a nice scene to behold, but that was about it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
You were the guy who saw Howard the Duck in theatres back in 85? Wow! Lucas should give you more than your money back, free tickets to see Attack of the Sith next year at least.;)

I ducked out and waited for the video rental, they didn't even mention he was a duck on the posters over here just in case, it was retitled Howard A New Breed of Hero.:)

Zen-san are you on the right pills? Your post lost coherency a third of the way and ended up a thinly veiled attack on the LOTR trilogy. Fowl play I say.:D

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It's a Dud.
I am surprised Lucas hasnt redone the duck with new CGI effects and put it out on DVD.
Has Tim Robbins disowned the film?

Leonard Part 6, Masters Of The Universe, Howard The Duck are all childhood classics that I hold higher than say a Donnie Darko(crap)!!
LOL. Yeah right.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
count me as another who saw HTD at the theater. Actually, I think Zen and I are brothers in another universe.

but Lifeforce, now there is a movie I could watch over and over again, and i dont mean the tv version.

;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I saw Lifeforce during its' theatrical run. I loved it back then. How has it held up ? .....

As to HTD, it gives me strange sensations. Sometimes, I dream that I'm a duck and...

Anyone remember Starship Invasions? Saw that too. That was a weird one at 10 years old.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I want to see a cage match between Hoggle from Labyrinth and Howard from Howard the Duck. Winner gets to fight another radio-controlled beast...Earl Sinclair from Dinosaurs.

Dear Lord, you've suffered. I didn't think there was a movie on this planet that's worse.

Cave Dwellers
Inseminoid
Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time
Manos the Hands of Fate
Sssssss!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...here's one of the great threads from the earl(ier) days of the HTF asking the important question: Classic or Fowl?" :D

I thought it deserving of a six-year-later resurrection as today marks the official US release of this important film on DVD. ;)

It's fun to see many of the names of this thread's participants again. In many instances, it's been way too long. :frowning:

It's not going to be too many times more, for example, that I'll be able to follow-up a post from Ernest Rister...

Enjoy, everyone! :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Mike where did you dig up this old fossil? :D It's so old I didn't even get an email notification. :P

As to the question... I vote - Cult Classic. I'm a fan. I bought the bare bones region 2 release last year and will be buying the special edition too. :emoji_thumbsup:

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/99/htf_imgcache_39498.jpeg] [/url]

Classic movie scene: Lea Thompson prepares bed as Howard looks on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hah! And Rister probably thought of himself as being the Thread Killer...

I'll show him!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I miss Ernest.
He left, said goodbye but not a word of were he had gone.

So, I won't be buying Duck, but will rent it just to see it again.

Zen, come out from the testy area, talk to us about the Duck.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Just to throw another two cents in after 6 years, i'll watch Howard the Duck over No Country For Old Men any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seriously, I thought that NCFOM was an overhyped bore with no ending and a wasted Tommy Lee Jones, HtD on the other hand is fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks