What's new

how will the TV be delivered? (1 Viewer)

Guy_K

Second Unit
I live on the second floor of a 5 apartment house, I am wondering if when I order my 50" HDTV off amazon, how will it be delivered? Will the delivery man be able to carry it to the second floor? Or will they knock on the door and have me get it from outside? What if it doesn't fit through the door?

I tend to sweat the details, so I'm worried about all these small steps before the HD TV is in my possession

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm guessing you have to get IN home delivery, for them to take it upstairs. At least, that's the way Crutchfield is. I looked at Amazon.com and nothing is said about that option. I've never ordered from them, but I'm guessing, to get it upstairs, you may need to give the delivery man an extra $10-$20 bucks.............. Send Amazon an email, and tell them your situation.
Good luck!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
if you ordered white glove..then in the house...many delivery companies only do curb side..your mileage may vary...make sure you have $20 for a tip (if needed).

Guy_K

Second Unit
Hmm, it looks like amazon doesn't have that specification, is there any online store I could buy the TV from has the option of getting in home delivery?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Doesn't Amazon offer free "White Glove" delivery service on all big-screen sets? (They did as of a few weeks ago, anyway.)

As for other stores, Circuit City's "basic" $55 delivery includes more than most "White Glove" delivery services.

They unpacked the TV and stand, set them up, plugged it in, made sure it was working, programmed the channels and gave me a quick demo of the functionality, removed all the packaging materials (we kept the TV box in the garage just in case though), *and* carted away the old TV (which weighed 250 lbs.).

Not sure if that includes carrying it to the second floor, but it probably does (and if it doesn't, their fancy delivery service is only a few bucks more).

Make sure you read the small print, wherever you buy the set. Some delivery companies won't even unload the set off the truck!

Humira

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
I got a 60'' Sony delivered to my apartment and they were more worried about it not working than I was as most delivery services don't ant the insurance claim against them. They took the TV out of the box, put it on the stand plugged it in, hooked up the HD PVR, and turned it on B4 I signed for it.

nerit

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
When you buy from a store and you pay the shipping fess. I guess the shipping company (DSH/FEDEX/UPS) know how to deliver it to your door-step.

Craig

Second Unit
I just had a 56" Samsung DLP delivered that I got from Amazon. It was deliveried by Eagle Logistics, who do the deliveries for Amazon. I think somewhere on Amazon it's mentioned they will deliver up stairs. The delivery guy was willing to go up or down stairs at my house. I'm also pretty sure that if the delivery guy can't get you to sign for it, Eagle won't get paid, so that alone means he'll probably be willing to do what it takes. FYI, Amazon bills the Eagle delivery service as 'white glove', and the guy did unpack it and turn it on, but he didn't offer to hook up any components, it's just a basic in-home delivery service.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not to mention that 90% of the time you can get CC to knock off the price of delivery because they usually have free delivery if you purchase via the web. I did this with my 65" DLP and while they didn't set up the stand (I did that the night before), they did unpack it, place it on the stand, connect the power and HDMI, and check for proper operation. I tipped them $10.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Argh! Wish I'd brought that up *before* I bought the set. (They actually didn't have free delivery on the website at the time, but it was $55 vs. $60 in the store. They couldn't adjust the price though, so they took $5 off the price of the stand.)

Oh well -- the service they provided was worth the $55 I paid. :)

Normally I'd have bought via the website anyway to get 2% back from eBates, but unfortunately the stand wasn't available online.

Guy_K

Second Unit
So If I were to order from amazon with the free shipping, these eagle people will deliver the TV upstairs? I was worried at the prospect of my regular mail person to deliver this TV, she is an old woman.

Craig

Second Unit

They won't be sending it via the Postal Service, it'll be by Eagle, or a similar carrier. The only problem I had with my delivery was that they only had one guy on the truck. The TV only weighs 65lbs, so that wasn't an issue. However, I wanted it taken down some very narrow stairs to the basement, and he couldn't do that the way he had it strapped to the hand truck, so he had to go around the back to the outside doors to the basement. If there had been two guys, they could have grabbed it by each end and carried it down the inside stairs to the basement, which would have been simpler.

These guys deliver stuff to aparments all the time, so they're used to dealing with stairs. You'll get a call from Eagle a day or two before they deliver it setting up a delivery time, and you can mention it'll need to be carried up some stairs then. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're only going to the second floor.

Also, when you order off Amazon, the delivery estimate will probably show as being about two weeks away. However, my TV was delivered exactly one week from the day I ordered. There'll be a link on your order in Amazon where you can track your shipment.

I wouldn't worry about delivery, Amazon ships a ton of stuff every day including some heavy items like refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc. A 50" TV is probably one the easier things those guys deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks