What's new

how valuable is ISF calibration? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David B.: Makes further sense to me (what you so eloquently verbalized). Thanks. Consider me "set straight" on the ISF issue. ;) :)

Take care.

(Now....Where can I garner an Avia disc cheap? :))

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Another thing that affects picture quality out-of the-box is this:

Just think of how that RPTV got to your house. It has probably been on several forklifts, trucks, and a huge ship...most coming from overseas!! Now think of all the things in that RPTV that can move and become out of adjustment in all that handling!!

This was explained to me recently by Gregg Loewen during his ISF calibration on my Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD. Makes good sense to me!!;)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Another thing which has not directly been mentioned (at least not thoroughly)...

the source.

I had the good fortune of attending an advanced calibration class with Joe Kane last month where we SCOPED about 6 of the same HD VCR decks. Each had its own readings...

Even if the TVs were calibrated perfectly from the factory there would still be HUGE variances due to sources, switching, scaling, cabling, and lastly room environment.

Regards

Gregg

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
And think about mark-up. The factory has $X invested in the set, marks their cost up X% to a distributor. The distributor marks up their cost X% to the retailer, who marks it up X% to the buyer.

If you add, say, $400 cost at the factory, you're in for a whopping amount of mark-up by the time you sell the set in a store.

Not to mention the production delay of adding six or eight hours to the manufacturing time of each set!

Jan

david_b_m

Agent
Funny... I went and read the comments on KeohiHDTV site after posting here and apparently they used an automotive analogy too!

I think the shipping and source-related comments are the real key; no amount of factory calibration will account for differences after it leaves the factory. Maybe we should require all input devices to be calibrated to the same exacting standards, but once again we're getting into the level that would require military/aviation-spec electronics, and that kind of quality control is not just a difference of a few hundred dollars a unit... we're talking thousands of dollars per unit. Standardizing performance, particularly of electronics, is EXPENSIVE, particularly in a hobby where even a 1% deviation is probably noticeable, since the human eyes and ears are so darn good at what they do.

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
What about taking some ISF classes and doing it yourself? I'm thinking of doing that here...

http://www.imagingscience.com/seminars.cfm

and then several options open up.

1. I can calibrate my own RPTV when I purchase one.

2. I can do ISF calibration in my area (no one is doing it here now) and make some money.

3. Cost for the class and cost for my new RPTV (for testing/training purposes of course!) is a business expense! (woohoo!)

Am I completely mad in thinking this? Will I be able to perform professional ISF calibration after lots of practice? I was a technical operator at a television station for a couple years in the past and took television courses in college, so I have a basic understanding of the technology.

If not, where should I go to get professional ISF training? I think I would really enjoy it and be able to help pay for my hobby at the same time!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rod,

Don't forget about the expense of buying expensive hardware (comparator, color analyzer) that you need to do the job right.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the seminar with Gregg in Anaheim. That cost $1,000
plus the expense of the trip. We learned that we need HD capable waveform monitors to set sources properly to compensate for either poor design / parts selection, or poor adjustment during assembly. These are a paltry $7,500

Attended CES, going to Christie Digital in March; NAB in April...about $3,500 in expenses. That's just the outlay for about the first quarter.

Add this to the current arsenal of calibration gear that is insured for $14,000.

Take a class and dive in? Sure, go for it! :b

david_b_m

Agent
Is there a strong demand for ISF calibrators? I mean, if so, the costs you're quoting are not absurdly high for starting one's own business, and would be an excellent job to do on an appointment basis to work around an odd schedule or something ...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Demand depends on the area of the country that you are in. Just having a sheet of paper to wave around does not bring people to your door.

Marketing and reputation are what really help you in this business.

For instance, locally, I service a market area of 2.2 million people and with links to all the stores that matter ... I'd still be hard pressed to get more than one job a week. It's a good hobby job, but you will starve if you stay local and only do this.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks