What's new

How to watch Cable TV through Projector (1 Viewer)

Craig512

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hi everyone,
I got a Optoma Neo-i projector for Christmas and I want to use it to watch sports outside on my deck when the weather is nice. It has an HDMI port in the back as does my Time Warner digital cable box which is currently connected to my TV. Do I just need an HDMI cable in order for the cable TV to work through my projector or do I need some other connections etc? It has speakers built into the projector so I don't think I would need anything else for sound but I'm not sure on the video connection. Also will I have to change the mode or setting on My TV for the signal to go to the projector? Sorry, first timer here and not too savvy. Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
An HDMI cable running from the cable box to the projector should be all you need.

Don't expect much from the built-in speakers, and if you're new to projectors, I wouldn't plan on using it during the day. Chances are pretty good that for any daytime outdoor use (even cloudy days) the image will be washed out to the point of being almost unwatchable.

Most projector users also employ an A/V receiver. You plug your cable box into the receiver via HDMI and let the receiver handle the audio - sending it out to separate speakers - and then pass the video signal (via a second HDMI cable) from the receiver's video output to the projector.

Craig512

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Okay thanks. Does it really matter what type of HDMI cable I get? I'm going to need about a 50ft connection and the range in price seems so huge from the basic all the way to the advanced with gold plated connections that I've seen go all the way up to like $300.00. As long as the signal doesn't cut out, I'm good. I don't have to have crystal clear perfect reception. Any advice? Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Normally the "specs" of the HDMI cable don't matter - in fact, many of the "claims" on the packages are completely false (data rate limits, 60Hz/120Hz/240 Hz support, etc.)

However, cable length IS something to be concerned about. 50' is a LONG run. This is where the difference between a "Standard" HDMI cable and a "High Speed" HDMI cable come into play. The names have nothing to do with the actual data transfer, but more to do with how effective they are at longer runs. High Speed cables are more likely to carry a full 1080p signal over longer runs (more than 25') than a Standard HDMI cable.

I have always purchased my cables from www.monoprice.com. They have this 50' Standard HDMI cable, or they have this 75 footer that has a built-in equalizer to help improve performance.

The 50' cable is a thicker gauge and if it's long enough for you, that's what I would go with rather than risk the extra 25 feet on a thinner cable.

A step up in price would be to go to www.bluejeanscable.com. They have cables specifically intended for longer runs, but they cost several times the monoprice cable (go here and scroll down to the "BJC Series-1 Belden" table).

Another, safer approach might be to get an RG-6 coaxial cable extension (with F-type connectors) that will allow you to disconnect your cable box and move it closer to the projector. Then you won't have to worry as much about the signal degrading from cable box to projector.

bradmack

Auditioning
Real Name
brad
I am having a similar problem, I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LOIKX6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in order to extract the audio, it works perfectly with a laptop, but my comcast box only plays the audio and freaks out about the video.... any explanation? I live in a small apartment and buying a reciever is an absolute waste as I could never use anything more than a 2.1 computer speaker set up without neighbor complaints lol any help greatly appreciated, I understand a few things about this, but cant seem to grasp why it wont work with cable but works with laptop Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks