1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use my rear projection HDTV as monitor

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RentBaxley, Jan 15, 2006.

1. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Active Member

I am in the market for a new PC with windows media center. I want to use it in my living room for all music/movies etc. I am goign to get one with dual tuners etc. Is there anything special i need to look for in order to use my Mitsubishi HDTV as the monitor? This TV is about 3 years old and does NOT have a DVI input.

Any thoughts? I am also looking for suggestion on a PC. I would like to keep it around 1K. currently looking at a Dell.

Thanks!

2. JohnMurphy

JohnMurphy Member

Just make sure the video card has a video out then you can run a cable from the card to the back of the tv. I made the mistake thinking that my new media center had one because my old media center had one. I was wrong. Now I have to get a new video card to make it happen.[​IMG] Murph

3. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Active Member

Thanks for the input.

Any suggestions on a computer manufacturer? At this point i am goign to go with the dell outlet.

4. JohnMurphy

JohnMurphy Member

I bought an HP media center from Best Buy.
    I havent had and problems with it. I like to use their money for two years. Just my opinion. Murph

5. John S

John S Well-Known Member

Does the Mits have VGA input? If so, that sure makes it simple.

6. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Active Member

Nope, no VGA input.

7. John S

John S Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of the options available to you.

I have never hooked up a display from an HTPC with a Component Video Connection. Others may have though.
    I'd say the display is not what I would consider a prime candidate for HTPC use, but it may be possible still, I just have not had to do it.

8. RyanCC

RyanCC Member

if you get it to work, be mindful that rear projection tvs can get screen burn in.