What's new

how to test a speaker without actually hooking it to a receiver? (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I'd like to know if there is a way to test a speaker to see if it functions properly without actually hooking it to a receiver. Is there a speaker test device which will do this?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question.

Regards,
orestes

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe there's any tester for a finished speaker (including the crossover). Parts Express sells a woofer tester, but it's designed to test the bare speaker by itself.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
BTW, I am asking this question because I bought a pair of used speakers from ebay (due to arrive tomorrow), and I want to test them.

Regards,
orestes

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires. I suppose if you could find one of those, it could be a test. But, it might sound the same even if a woofer is blown, so I don't think that's a good way to test a speaker for the purposes of buying it.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
"I've seen a deviced that home theater installers use that just emits a beep, beep across speaker wire. They use this to identify which speaker is which as they install a bunch of wires."

This can be done with a battery by simply touching the speaker wires on the positive and minus of the battery. This will create a sound allowing you to identify speakers but as was said before you cannot tell if a speaker is totally sound without hearing it as intended.

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Dry cells thru' the speaker cables but I don't think it will show anything except that the driver is still working.

Not much help here.

Regards.
David

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing you are looking for a way to test so that if they are damaged you do not harm your receiver? If so, I would use a multi meter to check that there is not a direct short across the input terminals. Assuming that checks out OK, anything else that might be wrong with them would be unlikely to damage your receiver.

-Dave

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on what you want to check out, using a signal generator to input test tones to the speaker might be a good idea. I'm not sure how much they cost though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks