1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to sound calibrate Yamaha RXV-800 with Avia?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by flycaster, Aug 7, 2010.

1. flycaster

flycaster Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to calibrate the speakers through the Yamaha rxv-800. I've got the sound meter and Avia, but what I can't figure out is when I am playing a test sound from Avia (let's say the left main), how do I use the Yammy's controls to get the desired level out of that speaker? For example, let's say that the test sound is at 80dB and I want to set the LM speaker to 85db, I've been simply upping the Yammy's volume dial to 85dB. Now I follow the same procedure for the other speakers. But when I give this procedure some thought, it seems to me that I'm not really "setting" the sound output for each speaker correctly as all I am doing is raising or lowering sound output for each speaker - but I can't see how this "sets" the volume output for each. Again, test sounds per speaker via Avia playing on BD85, which controls on the Yammy allow for setting volume while listening/watching Avia?

I just re-read this mess and now think I may have a better understanding of what to do. Please check me out. As I run the test sounds for each speaker, I am to TAKE NOTE (ie, write it down) how many dBs that speaker needs to be adjusted to reach the targeted sound level. Then go into the Yammy and adjust the dBs for each speaker.
    If I am right about this, my next problem is just where in the rxv-800 manual (http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/RX-V800kai.pdf) do I find how to do this?

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    I personally would not rely on AVIA to adjust my speakers. Does the Yammy have internal test tones (it appears it does but I can't load the PDF you linked - I get an error)? IMO, these will be much more accurate. Set each speaker to 75db using the internal tones and an SPL meter.

3. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    See my reply in your Receivers ( Edit: Speakers thread, actually ) thread.

4. flycaster

flycaster Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I figured it out and the speakers are fairly well balanced and ready for PCM and bitstream playing...even the subW is OK for 6ch.