What's new

How to shield a tempest? (1 Viewer)

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to put a tempest in an enclosure directly below my TV. How would I go about magnetically shield the enclosure? I am figuring a bucking magnet and maybe some sheet metal on the top of the enclosure. What size magnet would I need?

Thanks for the input guys.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The bucking magnet should be no larger than 50% of the weight of the original magnet on the driver.

Line the ALL interior surfaces of the cab with the thickest sheet metal you can find.

On occasion we've done a double walled cab with sheet metal layer between the two layers of MDF/plywood, then a second layer of metal covering all the internal surfaces of the cab.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
The good thing about weight..... if someone robs your house, your sub aint goin nowhere :D lol

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
As for the sheet metal, make sure it is ferromagnetic. If you use aluminum or stainless steel, it ain't gonna do anything for your shielding. You need something with iron... such as steel. (Rust is an indicator that it'll work)

A bucking magnet, plus lining the inner cabinet with some sheet metal would work fine. I think 12ga would be the absolute thickest. The distance from the magnet to the tv matters as well.

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
The good thing about weight..... if someone robs your house, your sub aint goin nowhere lol
or maybe you'll find a couple of robbers with thrown backs, laid out on the floor.:D
I wonder how close is to close for tempest or AV15's in just normal enclosures.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
omg, if someone was going to rob me that box would be the LAST thing they'd get!!! They would lift up on the front and say "screw it i'm taking the VCR" :D

Bucking magnets...is that just a magnet attached to the back side of the speaker to negate the magnetic field of the speaker?

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, thanks for the replies even if some are a bit off topic. :) For the sheetmetal, I was thinking of using some roll flashing or something similar, is this thinking on the right track? Where would I get the bucking magnet, partsexpress or mcm, or someplace like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks