What's new

how to set up ES/EX on my denon 1803 ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
i have a 5.1 speaker set up and i cant really add a center back because my listening position is like 5 inches away from the back wall. i am basically against the wall with my L & R surrounds speakers flush mounted 3 feet up. I was hoping that the DD EX or DTS ES matrix will hopefully provide a phantom back center. in the front panel of my receiver should i just leave the 6.1 switch on or turn it off? the receiver menu also lets the back channel toggle on or off. i have no clue what to do.

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
mmmmm.. guess i confused everyone. here is a more simple question. anyone tried DTS ES matrix or DD EX on a 5.1 speaker set up? any differences they heard compared to regular DTS or DD? im assuming that these people have a 6.1 receiver.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
If you don't have the back rear speakers physically installed then do not run in 6.1 DTS ES or DD EX. Just keep it in DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1. No phantom rear will be created running in 6.1 so run in 5.1 to make sure you are getting all of the rear channel sound.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
To further clarify Jeff, the rear center toggle on/off is telling your receiver whether or not you have a rear center hooked up back there. In "off" the receiver should not be able to go into 6.1 mode (EX,ES-matrix,ES-discrete), and will not attempt to send any signal to that channel for any other modes you might have such as all-channel stereo, Neo 6, or whatever. Since you have no rear center, you should leave this to OFF.

Say you did have a rear center, you would enable that speaker by setting it to ON, and this will give you access to options that utilize this extra channel. Then you will have the choice of using EX/ES matrix, and it will give you that rear back channel. If, for instance, you set this to ON in your situation, where you do not have a rear center, and enabled an EX/ES processing, your receiver thinks that you have a speaker back there, and is sending the rear center info to that speaker which you do NOT have, so you are losing that information completely. EX/ES does NOT create any sort of phantom rear center. Leaving it in 5.1 is what you need to do, and if there are sounds that should come from behind you in the mix, it's really a product of the proper and careful placement of your surrounds that will allow that sound to seem to come from just behind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks