What's new

How to Question = NAS Server streaming movies + internet connection +Denon +Samsung? (1 Viewer)

DoorGuy500

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hi guys,
I'm having an issue with an older Denon AVR-689. It processes HDMI video but not the sound. It's an older model before they put sound in the HDMI so I end up processing the signal separately. I want to upgrade the Denon AV Receiver to allow for better sound. Currently running 5.1 sound , and want to make the jump to better speakers and a more efficient surround sound system. I can only get the surround sound to work when I have the shows on FF. I know it's an oddity with my system. It's a small room, don't need a lot of power, just enough to fill the room (12' x 20') with enough sound to enjoy the BluRay movies and so on.

Now I have digitized most my DVD library onto an Enterprise level server running CAT5e cables to each TV and into a matching computer at each location. (I have two matching locations in the house) I've been using the WMC for capturing live TV and PVR and then draw HULU and Netflix into the rooms to supplement the entertainment without going cable or satellite.

Some of the questions I face now are; what is the best bang for my buck for a receiver to process the signals from the computer (internet), the server (streaming localized movies), and I hope to include the Sirius/XM Radio soon, and still get the full surround sound from the all the entertainment options.

Do I run all the signals into the computer first, then to the tuner/receiver, then to the Television, or how would this wiring work best? Since the computer is the PVR, I think I need to have that in the mix. But would the receiver take a signal from the server and run the movies without the computer between them? Do I take the signal from the computer into the TV first then process the surround sound out of the TV into the Receiver?

What issues might I run into?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

John

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Most receivers do not offer a function which does video level decoding. Audio, yes, but video, no. This is because the DLNA standard doesn't strictly provide a means by which to do this.. I'm sure there are some receivers that do.

Your best option is to look for the right receiver, and then a network media management device. There are quite a few out there. Depending on how you store a library (VOB/MKV/MPG/AVI) you want to pay attention to the abilities of your streaming device.

DoorGuy500

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hi Thanks Matt,
I guess I mis-stated my question. Based on your reply. I don't think you understood my questions?

Is there a way to hook all these items together successfully?
How would you hook them together?
And if you were trying to do this, which receiver would you want to try to make this work?
How would the wiring look? Is there a more successful wiring method?

Regards,
John

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is there a way to hook all these items together successfully?
With every single AVR ever sold.
How would you hook them together?
Does your computer have HDMI? I assume yes. Use that.
And if you were trying to do this, which receiver would you want to try to make this work?
Any of the few hundred AVR out there. Since your computer does the hard work...I wouldn't spend more than $300.
How would the wiring look? Is there a more successful wiring method?
Look? You mean the HDMI? Hook it up.
Successful is any way that it works...correctly. Which it will work correctly with every AVR currently on the market.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just so you know, your questions were more basic than anything.As far as the AVR cares...your computer might as well be a BD player, a DVD player, a Roku, an ATV, Popcorn Hour, Western Digital, cell phone(MHL) or any of the other millions of devices out there with HDMI.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DoorGuy500 said:
Mark it solved.

(I'm sorry I asked)
I'm sorry about that, was there something very specific? We definitely don't want to run you off if we didn't understand the question :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks