What's new

How to protect speakers from cats, dogs, small children, and other domestic hazards? (2 Viewers)

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I would like to find some metal covers like the ones on my Klipsch ksb 3.1's
Dave Neff,

Check with a small local machine shop. They could prob manufacture some sweet alum/metal speaker cover to your specifications. I would love to see some pictures if you go this route.

Animal rights, Taxes, Politics, Religion and lets not forget "The best sounding speakers" will be debated till the end of time. Respect others opinions because you have one too! ;)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I have never had a problem with my cat and my speakers.
I built him a nice "condo" with all the scratching posts he could need. He was declawed & neutered very early in his life, so I don't think he realizes he is missing anything. He still "scratches" at the posts by instinct I guess. (but I am going off topic)
Also, what I think was the biggest factor is when I brought my new RF-3s home I cranked them really loud, cat freaked & went in the other room to hide.
As far as the question in hand, speaker covers, if you want new I think going through the dealer/manufactuer is the only way.
Who uses the grills anyways. :D

Dave Neff

Auditioning
Thanks for the backup Brett and Brian, and to James Zos wouldn't cutting a cats sexual organs be just as bad as declawing in you and Jacks world? I mean come on, these cats have it better than any cat ever had it before us people decided to domesticate them, If I were a cat I would not complain about having no claws when I get a cimate controlled environment and food that I don't have to work for, and all the toys a feline could ask for.....now denutting me would be another issue in itself, I may have some objections :)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
My puppy is trained not to walk on carpet. Problem solved. :) He does bark & growl quite a bit when he sees animals on the 80" screen though.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"and to James Zos wouldn’t cutting a cats sexual organs be just as bad as declawing in you and Jacks world?"

At the risk of continuing the "non-speaker related" aspects of this thread, I am going to respond to your question as politely as I can, Dave. I don't want to keep this whole issue going, but you have asked me a direct question and I want to answer it.

Jack Briggs, if you consider my response inappropriate, as I fear you might, I apologize in advance and will understand if you wish to delete it. If you wish to sanction me for making this post, I will accept that without complaint as well.

Now for my answer.

I don't know what world you think I live in, exactly, Dave, but I can tell you that I live in Northern California, and I am a reporter for a daily newspaper. Among other things, I report on animal-related issues. I have written several stories about homeless cats and dogs in the county, and what happens to them when they end up in our county Animal Control shelter. Do you want to know what happens to them, Dave? I'm going to tell you what happens to them. Then I will explain exactly why I think it is important that you know.

(Anyone who would rather not know is advised to quit reading my post now. I am not going to sanitize this.)

The vast majority never get rescued or adopted. They are caged for five days, and at the end of five days, they become eligible for death by lethal injection. They're all done on the same day, usually once or twice a month depending on the numbers. Dogs, cats, puppies and kittens are taken outside, to the back of the shelter, where the incinerator is. Some are scared, and to calm them a worker may pause to offer a reassuring touch for a few seconds. Then each pet is given an injection and placed on the ground to die. There can be hundreds lying on the ground at the same time.
When all have been injected, a shelter worker goes around and, one by one, inserts a needle directly into their hearts to make sure they're dead. The worker watches the needle carefully. If it moves at all, that means the animals heart is still beating, which means another injection must be administered.
The reason another injection must be administered is to avoid placing a dog or cat that is still alive into the incinerator. Once all have been checked, the bodies are collected in a wheel barrel, and dumped in the incinerator to be burned.
I have seen the incinerator, and the empty cages stacked beside it, with my own eyes. The process outlined above was told to me directly by a shelter manager. It is not conjecture or opinion. It happens routinely, month after month, year after year.
Though the exact process may vary, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (hardly a radical organization) several million cats and dogs are euthanized like this in the U.S. every year.

Why do so many have to die? Because there simply isn't anywhere else for them to go. There are not enough homes for all the dogs and cats that are already here, not to mention all the puppies and kittens that are continuously being born. Again, this is not conjecture, it is not simply my opinion. It is a fact.

I should point out here that euthanasia, as grim as it may sound, isn't the worst thing that can happen. Many abandoned pets never make it to a shelter, where at least there are some minimal standards of care, for however brief a period of time. Some are simply abandoned outside by their owners, where they face the agony of death by slow starvation, if they aren't hit by a car. While there are exceptions most domesticated animals can not survive for very long on their own.

I've seen cardboard boxes full of puppies or kittens simply dumped in an alley or behind the local Safeway where I live. (And in my particular county, they are also often abandoned in the woods, where they may be eaten by coyotes.)

So why am I telling you this, Dave? What does this have to do with you and your question? If you haven't figured it out already, I'll explain it.

Ask anyone at the ASPCA, or the Humane Society, or any animal shelter - ANYONE involved with caring for homeless or abandoned animals – and they'll all tell you the same thing: There is only one way to stop this endless tide of death. And that is for the owners of cats and dogs to spay and neuter their pets. The pets are never going to stop having more litters on their own. They do not have the intelligence to understand that there aren't enough homes for them. That understanding, and the responsibility that goes with it, must lie with the owners.

But many owners, for a variety of reasons, decline that responsibility. Some personalize it, that is, they ask themselves how THEY would feel if they had to be "fixed," instead of thinking of the consequences of not having their pets fixed.

So, Dave, to make a long story short, when you ask me: "wouldn’t cutting a cats sexual organs be just as bad as declawing?" my answer is no. It would not.
When you declaw a cat, you only run the risk of causing a single animal to suffer. When you let a cat or dog breed, you are condemning untold numbers to needless suffering and death.

I'm not trying to pick on you Dave, I'm not trying to say that you or anyone else here is a bad person. I'm assuming you just don't understand the full ramifications of the situation. Most people probably don't, because they never work at a place like the Humane Society, or they never see what goes on behind the walls at an Animal Control shelter.

It's my sincere hope, however, that once you open your eyes to the horror of what goes on, you'll never be able to close them again.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I was almost the first to suggest declawing but anticipated the response and hit the backspace :D
My cat, too, is declawed and an indoor cat.

As far as balloons, how about attaching them to the cat so he can float ABOVE the speakers, hence being unable to inflict any damage

P.E.T.A.........doesn't that stand for PEOPLE for the EATING of TASTY ANIMALS??? That's just what I heard anyway! :D

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Denis, there is a big difference between writing "cat is now gone" in your thread subject, and then later stating that the cat was declawed. Kind of an odd way of putting it, if that is what you really meant. It doesn't make sense, or it makes as much sense as saying "speakers are now gone" and then later stating that you meant the grills were removed.
Uhhh....I think it was a joke, dude.
Example definitions: 1. A brief, amusing story. 2. A jesting remark. 3. A mischeivious trick: PRANK 4. To speak in fun.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Guys, can we again return our focus to setting up a theater's speakers to adjust to the reality of living with nonhuman companions? Really, let's focus on that and try to salvage the thread. Otherwise, I just want to shut it down. (Yes, the thread title is what set the conversation off on this mark, and I'm changing it now.) (And, no, my cat is a complete and unaltered tomcat, and spends all his time indoors.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks